Posted to user@flink.apache.org by Yang Wang <da...@gmail.com> on 2020/01/19 09:07:47 UTC

[DISCUSS] Active Kubernetes integration phase2

 Hi everyone,

Currently Flink supports the resource management system YARN and Mesos.
However, they were not
designed for fast moving cloud native architectures, and they could not
support mixed workloads (e.g. batch,
streaming, deep learning, web services, etc.) relatively well. At the same
time, Kubernetes is evolving very
fast to fill those gaps and become the de-facto orchestration framework. So
running Flink on Kubernetes is
a very basic requirement for many users.

At least, we have the following advantages when natively running Flink on
Kubernetes.
* Flink KubernetesResourceManager will allocate TaskManager pods
dynamically based on the resource
requirement of the jobs.
* Using Flink bundled scripts to start/stop session cluster on Kuberenetes.
Do not need external tools anymore.
* Compared with Yarn deployment, different Flink clusters could get better
isolation by leveraging the ability
of Kubernetes.

Recently, i also find more and more uses are very interested in running
Flink on Kubernetes natively.
The community has already made some efforts[1] and will be released in
1.10. Welcome to have a taste and
give us your feedback. However, it is a basic requirement and we still need
many features before production.
So i want to start this discussion to collect the requirements that you
have came across. Feel free to share
your valuable thoughts. We will try to conclude and create sub tasks in the
umbrella ticket[2]. Also i will move
some existing tickets there for easier tracking them.

Best,
Yang

[1].
https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-master/ops/deployment/native_kubernetes.html
[2]. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-14460

Re: [DISCUSS] Active Kubernetes integration phase2

Posted by Till Rohrmann <tr...@apache.org>.
Thanks a lot for driving this discussion Yang Wang. I believe Flink's K8s
integration will become more and more important as more users switch to
K8s. Hence, it is very important that Flink gives users a very K8s
experience and can cover many different use cases.

Cheers,
Till

Posted by felixzheng zheng <fe...@gmail.com>.
Hi Yang Wang,