Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Gergely Hajdu <gh...@abprodata.com> on 2003/11/25 09:55:26 UTC

Shrink size of images.

Hi,

I am using the org.apache.fop.apps.Driver class and a renderer
to render TIFF-images. My problem is that the images are to big (in
bytesize).
I am using maximum compression when rendering the images.

I wonder, is there any classes in org.apache.fop where I can define
color-depth,
number of colours etc. etc. for the rendered image, so the size will be
smaller ?

I am not so familiar with graphics, there are maybe other settings I can do
reduce the image-size ?

Thanks in advance
/Gergely

Re: Shrink size of images.

Posted by Chris Bowditch <bo...@hotmail>.
Jeremias Maerki wrote:

> You have to get the images from somewhere. That means that you get
> "dynamic" images from a servlet, for example, right? You may want to
> check whether there are some options that can be sent to that
> image-delivering servlet that makes the images smaller. You could also
> implement some kind of a proxy-servlet with scales down the images it
> fetches from another source (pretty inefficient, though).

Jeremias - apologies for interrupting, but the original poster stated
that they are using the Tiff Generator, and that the size of Tiff images
generated is too large.

The question is: are there parameters that can be set on the
TiffGenerator to reduce image size (other than compression - as max is
already being used)

I refrained from answering because Im not familiar with the Tiff Generator.

Chris

RE: Shrink size of images.

Posted by Gergely Hajdu <gh...@abprodata.com>.
Actually I have a html-file. I am using Freemarker
to fill this html-file with values from a Java bean.
So after this step I still have a html-file.

This html-file is then ran through a program that
generates XSL-FO files. It is this XSL-FO file I
am running through FOP, which in turn renders the
images ( by Driver.setRenderer( Driver.RENDER_TIF )

So the answer on your question "You have to get the images from somewhere",
is that I get the images when running FOP.

Maybe I am unclear, but I hope you understand what
I mean.

Regards
/Gergely

Ps.Since with the Driver class it's possible to generate PDF/PS-files,
maybe anybody knows a FREE Java-library/Batch-script that converts
PDF/PS to TIFF-file format ? Ds.

On 27.11.2003 11:24:03 Gergely Hajdu wrote:
> Sorry,I don't really understand this. I get the image
> after I've ran FOP, i.e I don't have the image before
> and can therefore not manipulate it. My input to FOP
> is just a XSL-FO formatted template.

Jeremias Maerki

Re: Shrink size of images.

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch>.

RE: Shrink size of images.

Posted by Gergely Hajdu <gh...@abprodata.com>.
Sorry,I don't really understand this. I get the image
after I've ran FOP, i.e I don't have the image before
and can therefore not manipulate it. My input to FOP
is just a XSL-FO formatted template.

Thanks for taking time helping me.

/Gergely

The only way to reduce the image size is to do it manually using image
manipulation programs before running FOP. FOP embeds all images "as is".
FOP might provide functions like that in the future but there are
currently no plans.

On 25.11.2003 09:55:26 Gergely Hajdu wrote:
> I am using the org.apache.fop.apps.Driver class and a renderer
> to render TIFF-images. My problem is that the images are to big (in
> bytesize).
> I am using maximum compression when rendering the images.
>
> I wonder, is there any classes in org.apache.fop where I can define
> color-depth,
> number of colours etc. etc. for the rendered image, so the size will be
> smaller ?
>
> I am not so familiar with graphics, there are maybe other settings I can
do
> reduce the image-size ?

Jeremias Maerki

Re: Shrink size of images.

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch>.
The only way to reduce the image size is to do it manually using image
manipulation programs before running FOP. FOP embeds all images "as is".
FOP might provide functions like that in the future but there are
currently no plans.

On 25.11.2003 09:55:26 Gergely Hajdu wrote:
> I am using the org.apache.fop.apps.Driver class and a renderer
> to render TIFF-images. My problem is that the images are to big (in
> bytesize).
> I am using maximum compression when rendering the images.
>
> I wonder, is there any classes in org.apache.fop where I can define
> color-depth,
> number of colours etc. etc. for the rendered image, so the size will be
> smaller ?
>
> I am not so familiar with graphics, there are maybe other settings I can do
> reduce the image-size ?

Jeremias Maerki