Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com> on 2005/10/01 05:13:04 UTC

Re: PortletAggregator error

This is only a rumour but there seems to be a problem with M4. You might
try with M3.
I had the same problem and then downloaded the M3 binary and it worked
immediately.
I switched away from MySQL to HSQL at the same time so I am not sure if
it is a database problem or just a bug in M4. I have to get MySQL
working so I will find outthe answer to that question shortly.

I did not retry the "getting started" with M3 instead of M4 but it is
worth a try.

The software works but the packaging is really hard to fathom. It is not
set up so that an application can be quickly or easily built. The
separation between Jetspeed and my application is too fuzzy.

I have got some really good advice about how to use Jetspeed in a real
production environment under Eclipse in this forum but this is not part
of the "standard" distribution and documentation.

On the positive side, there seems to be a number of people who are not
Java developers who are adopting Jetspeed 2 as a means to an end and
perhaps we will be able to figure out easy ways to get it installed and
put into an environment where it can be used as a tool somewhat
independent from the application.

Ron

AJAX and Jetspeed 2

Posted by Aaron Evans <aa...@yahoo.ca>.
David Le Strat <dlestrat <at> yahoo.com> writes:

> Ryan,
>
> Santiago can provide more details but J2 supports
> Ajax.  We currently have a Ajax Branch in CVS (Work in
> Progress) as well as an AjaxEngine used by a few of
> the admin portlets.
>
> Regards,
>
> David Le Strat.

I decided that this discussion warrants a new thread.

If you could point to a specific example that uses Ajax that would be good.

I am trying to figure out how to have Ajax fit within my portlet apps. If I
were to do it in the normal fashion using an XMLHttpRequest javascript
object and invoke a URI that will return XML output, it seems to me I have
two options for the server-side Ajax URI:

1. Hit a servlet URI outside of the portal that generates the XML output.

Pretty straight-forward except now I have the SSO issue to deal with, but I
suppose I I have to deal with that anyway for binary downloads from portlets.

2. Generate and use a portal URI.  In this case, I guess I would write the
Ajax server-side component as a portlet that returns XML.  I would then have
to "wrap" it in a special psml page that outputs nothing except the XML
output of the portlet.

This *should* be straight-forward enough but like the pop-up portlet pages,
my portlet app now depends on particular psml resources being installed in
the jetspeed application and I must hard-code or configure those .psml file
names.

If there is a better way/idea, I'd love to hear it.  However, I'd like to keep
my portlet apps as platform neutral as possible.  Not that I'm planning on
moving away from jetspeed or anything, but this is of course the whole idea
and philosophy of first Java, then JDBC, J2EE and now JSR168.

Thoughts anyone?

As an aside, the more I think about this AJAX stuff, with all the hype around
SOA (which I am not sure is warranted), they should make somekind of generic
web service client stubs in javascript so that the server-side component of
AJAX can be re-usable web services. Just a thought...

Re: PortletAggregator error

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
We use Eclipse for everything else and now I am trying to get Jetspeed
going.

Ron

Posted by Ryan Moquin <fr...@gmail.com>.
No, I'm using IntelliJ....