Posted to slide-user@jakarta.apache.org by jo...@gmx.net on 2005/02/08 10:00:35 UTC

server-side slide

Hi all,

In a project just started we're using a combination of open source products to build a secure document management system:

- Tomcat with SSL client authentication
- JSR168 portal (Liferay)
- own DMS portlet for exploring and editing Slide content
- Slide as the storage backend and for user managment

Our architect presented us a concept, in which Tomcat negotiates the secure ssl context with the client browser and this context is then accessible both by the portal and Slide (as a webapp).  Slide brings in a standard interface (webDAV) and the (required) version management.

At the point to access the slide webapp from server side servlets we realized, that there seems to be no adequate method to access the Slide webapp on the server side (from a servlet) meeting our minimum requirements:
- secure clean client certificate authentication in both slide and the portal (ssl context from tomcat)
- access via std webDAV
- versionmanagement in Slide

This are the possibilities inside our servlet, all failing at one requirement at least:

1. Slide webdavclient lib: Can't transport/forward the SSL-context(?)
2. Slide serverside API: no standard webdav, our webapp has to "merge" with slide by including its jars
3. WCK: no support for version management, beta
4. DAV4J: no further development
5. Move the webdav stuff to a (thick) client: no thin client any more

What to you think? Is it possible to meet the requirements with Slide? If yes, how could that be done?
Is there a solution based on basic authentication (password) until the realease of Slide 3 which then has a nice server side API?
Do you know of any comparable projects?

Thanks in advance, Kolja