Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org> on 2004/04/01 23:19:49 UTC

[Commons] Sandbox committer policy

Hi,
In the past we on the commons-dev mailing list only allowed people who are ASF
committers already to become committers on commons-sandbox.  I was wondering if
this is an actual rule set forth somewhere in the ASF laws, or if it's simply a
recommendation/suggestion/practice that can be evaluated on a case-by-case
basis.  Thanks,

Yoav Shapira

Re: [Commons] Sandbox committer policy

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.
Afaik, the rule is that any apache committer can be granted access to the
sandbox without any kind of vote. It doesn't imply that you can't vote a
new commons committer in for a sandbox'd component.

It's in fact where the Commons concept comes into play. Said new committer
cannot help but be enveloped in the Commons philosophy [and therefore ASF
way] after joining. Community oversight is achieved, and by the large
number of Commons members on the PMC, PMC oversight is achieved.

No problem in my view [sorry for not having read the thread on
commons-dev, work's been one long headache].

Hen