Posted to user@storm.apache.org by eric perler <er...@hotmail.com> on 2014/03/26 15:46:28 UTC

execute method invoked twice ?

hello

i just started using storm today .. and i have a newbie question...

in one of my BOLT.execute methods.. i added a system out to count how many times the execute method gets called...

i have 2 bolts.. one that writes to a database.. and one that writes to a file...

when i run the topology.. i see ~1500 system outs... but in the database and the file.. i only see 750 records

is the execute method called twice per tuple ?????

Thanks !!!

Re: execute method invoked twice ?

Posted by Naresh Bhatti <na...@gmail.com>.
Hi Eric,
You should return from execute if it is not a Tuple you expect.
We use tick Tuples for some bolts but in others we simply ignore them.

 if (isTickTuple(input)) {
            _collector.ack(input);
            return;
}

Tick tuples are enabled in Configuration
        conf.put(Config.TOPOLOGY_TICK_TUPLE_FREQ_SECS, 10);

By trapping Tuples you don't expect you will be able to figure out the
source of extra count.
Regards
Naresh