Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Pascal Schumacher <pa...@gmx.net> on 2018/06/09 08:53:27 UTC

[all] - git: prevent unnecessary merge commits?

Hello everybody,

in my opinion it is a good practice to always use the "--rebase" option
when using "git pull". This keeps the history free of unnecessary merge
commits like "Merge branch 'master' of
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repo...".

You can also tell git to automatically rebase when pulling:

git config --global pull.rebase true

What do you think?

Cheers,

Pascal

Re: [all] - git: prevent unnecessary merge commits?

Posted by ajs6f <aj...@apache.org>.
+1. Unless there is a specific reason to incur a merge commit, it's generally noise.

ajs6f

Posted by Bernd Eckenfels <ec...@zusammenkunft.net>.
+1 linear commits and branch.autosetuprebase always

Gruss
Bernd
--
http://bernd.eckenfels.net
+1, I prefer linear commit histories too.

Emmanuel Bourg

Posted by Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org>.