Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by David E Jones <da...@hotwaxmedia.com> on 2009/04/08 09:51:47 UTC

Re: OfBiz readiness for multi-tenancy

OFBiz works well OOTB for certain multi-tenant scenarios, but not for
others.

Could you be more specific about at least the scaling range that
you're going for?

BTW, one thing to consider is that because OFBiz is community driven
if a feature you're looking for doesn't exist, it means that no one
has developed and contributed it yet, and that's really all it means.
For large-scale multi-tenant functionality, there are not very many
companies like NetSuite and SalesForce.com and Yahoo Stores that have
investment adequate to implement, market (the big one!), and run such
an operation. Even someone did implement something like that because
it is such a small group of prospects for it, and any other user might
be a competitor, they might just keep that feature to themselves.

The unfortunate problem with support for large-scale multi-tenant
software is that most companies that try it totally fail and never get
a return on what they invest in the large-scale multi-tenant support.
There are a lot of us dreamers out there, and we're not always totally
realistic about what is necessary to get a return on our investment...
ie things like "how much will it cost in marketing and sales to sign
up the 1,000 tenants with at least 5 users each that we have
determined it will require to get a return on our development
expenses... and then how many MORE tenants will we need to cover that
marketing and sales expense?"

On a side note: because of the way OFBiz is architected (especially
with the entity engine) certain aspects of large-scale multi-tenancy
are actually pretty easy... ;) The REAL question is, do you really
have the funding to do even the easy stuff, and then move on to do the
more expensive and/or harder stuff?

-David

Posted by Marc Morin <ma...@emforium.com>.
Yes, I added our offering information to the table.

Marc Morin
Emforium Group Inc.
ALL-IN Softwareâ„¢
519-772-6824 ext 201
mmorin@emforium.com

From: "Marc Morin" <ma...@emforium.com>

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Hi Marc,

From: "Marc Morin" <ma...@emforium.com>

Posted by David E Jones <da...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
For 5-6 tenants separate instances of OFBiz, running the same server
pool or on different ones as needed, is probably the best way to go.
You'll handle the thousands of users much better that way.

Generally "multi-tenant" functionality with a big/huge/etc single
instance is meant for thousands or tens (or hundreds!) of thousands of
tenants with only a few users for most of them.

-David