Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Mazza, Glen R., ,CPMS" <gl...@cpms.osd.mil> on 2004/01/13 14:11:16 UTC

[users@httpd] (newbie) adding DSO's after installation

Hello,

Newbie here.

1.  I compiled the Apache 2.0.48 binary with just the enable-so module
brought in,
thinking that DSO's, when needed, can be added in later.  But do I need to
recompile Apache everytime I want to add in new modules, even if used as a
DSO?

2.  If (1) above is "yes", I believe we're supposed to untar the Apache2
tarball again, and use a new build directory, rather than build a second
time
(./configure, make, make install) from the build directory used in the
previous
compile, correct?  (I know I can still reuse and modify the config.nice to
the new build
directory, as explained here:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/install.html#upgrading.)

Thanks,
Glen

RE: [users@httpd] (newbie) adding DSO's after installation

Posted by Ben Yau <by...@cardcommerce.com>.
> Hello,
>
> Newbie here.
>
> 1.  I compiled the Apache 2.0.48 binary with just the enable-so module
> brought in,
> thinking that DSO's, when needed, can be added in later.  But do
> I need to
> recompile Apache everytime I want to add in new modules, even if used as a
> DSO?

You do not have to recompile apache.  The apache docs on DSO can be a bit
confusing on this point.  What you do have to keep in mind is that when you
compile new versions of apache, it's a good idea to recompile your shared
modules with the new apache build and not just copying over the mod_***.so
file.

> 2.  If (1) above is "yes", I believe we're supposed to untar the Apache2
> tarball again, and use a new build directory, rather than build a second
> time
> (./configure, make, make install) from the build directory used in the
> previous
> compile, correct?  (I know I can still reuse and modify the config.nice to
> the new build
> directory, as explained here:
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/install.html#upgrading.)

Yes, it's a good idea to use differnet build directories when compiling new
and diferent apache versions.
Cheers-

Ben