Posted to dev@camel.apache.org by Henryk Konsek <he...@gmail.com> on 2012/09/15 22:27:19 UTC

[VOTE] Hide 'issues' tab in the Camel-Extra Google Project site

Hi,

While working on the camel-extra stuff together with Christian, I've
risen the proposal of removing the 'Issues' tab [1] from the Camel
extra page. Instead of Google Issues tracker, we could put the
information on the Camel Extra home page, telling that one should use
Camel Jira [2] to report the issues. This will make maintenance of the
Camel Extra issues a bit easier.

Code base of Camel extra is hosted on the Google Project due to the
licensing reasons. Nothing however forces us to keep Camel Extra
issues in the Google Issue Tracker. In fact, we handle the majority of
the extra-related issues in the regular Camel Jira. We also got
release versions set up in Jira, so we can assign tasks to the given
release of Camel.

We can easily migrate issues from Camel Extra Google Issues Tracker to
Jira (I can handle this) and hide the 'Issues' panel (you can do it in
the Google Project administration setup.

Christian suggested me that the community should decide about the
future of the issues at Google Tracker, so I decided to raise this
voting. I got no binding vote anyway, so decision is up to you.
However as a person involved in the Camel Extra development and
maintenance I strongly endorse this idea :} .

Regards.

[1] http://code.google.com/a/apache-extras.org/p/camel-extra/issues/list
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAMEL

--
Henryk Konsek
http://henryk-konsek.blogspot.com

Re: [VOTE] Hide 'issues' tab in the Camel-Extra Google Project site

Posted by Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com>.
-1

Yes it would be nice/convenient. However, camel-extra is an external
project. AFAIK, the ASF is not providing hosting services for external
projects.

Hadrian

Posted by Christian Müller <ch...@gmail.com>.
Hello Henryk!

Please find my comments inline...

Best,
Christian

On Sat, Sep 29, 2012 at 10:22 PM, Henryk Konsek <he...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > I assume that the outcome of the discussion at [1] will be we cannot use
> > the Apache mailing list for mail notifications from Apache Extra / Camel
> > Extra.
> > I'm not sure what the outcome will be for the documentation, we already
> > have in the Apache Confluence WIKI for Camel Extra components. May be we
> > have to move it to Camel Extra. But we will wait for the final
> decision...
>
> From my point of view, Camel Extra needs to be settled somewhere. At
> Apache or not at Apache.

Yes. That's what we did in the last weeks at Camel Extra with good success.

> My pain about the Camel Extra is that it is not equally maintained as
> regular Camel. I endorse Camel to my clients and then I need to
> explain them why Hibernate or Db4o components are not released with
> the latest Camel.

This is understandable. Than it's your job to explain that camel-hibernate
and camel-db40 are maintained by a different community. And this made a
good progress in the last weeks. So hopefully we will see the Camel Extra
releases more regularly than in the past.

> All clients/companies I worked for (including the
> one I currently work for) don't care if they use Apache or LGPL
> licensed jars. They don't get the ASF projects policies - they just
> want to use the Camel to integrate their stuff.

May be this is a bad attitude. What, if you use one of the many other Camel
components hosted at GitHub or somewhere else? As Hadrian mentioned, there
will not be a "one stop for all Camel components" solution. But as
mentioned before, for Canel Extra we made a good progress and I'm sure we
will see Camel Extra releases which are more in sync with the normal Camel
releases.

> From their point of
> view listing Hibernate component as the Camel documentation page [1]
> and then not releasing it's latest version with new version of regular
> Camel means that something is wrong with the release cycle the Camel
> itself.

We can make it more clear, that camel-hibernate and other components are
not part of the official Camel release and has to be released later
somewhere else. Or we can move the documentation to Camel Extra...

> For me (and other Camel Extra users) the most important thing is to be
> sure that Extra releases are as reliable as Standard Camel releases.
> And are in sync with them.

Yes. We are now in a good position to promise this.

> If ASF policy tells that Camel Extra stuff is not welcome at Apache
> infrastructure, we will use some other infrastructure. If Extra
> notifications or Jira tickets are problem for Apache infra guys -
> let's screw it and focus on the Camel Extra development itself.

It's not the Apache infra guys.

> Have a nice weekend :) .

You too.

Posted by Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com>.
Henryk, it's a legal issue and an important one. It is not arbitrary
that ASF projects cannot use xGPL. And believe it or not, the vast
majority of companies I interacted with do care if it's permissive
licenses or like BSD or MIT or ALv2 or something much more restrictive
like GPL or other licenses. It depends actually on a lot of factors.

Actually one of your responsibilities now as a Camel committer is to
inform yourself on the nuances of oss licensing and ideally educate your
customers as well. There are plenty here who could help.

You've got a valid point on the perception we create by hosting doc like
camel-hibernate on the apache site. I suspect that will be removed soon.
It should. Before that though, we should clarify what its new home
should be.

One more thing, the ASF infra is very accommodating. They will help us
with whatever we need... as long as it makes sense. Hosting services for
camel-extra does not.

Cheers,
Hadrian

Posted by Henryk Konsek <he...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christian Müller <ch...@gmail.com>.
I assume that the outcome of the discussion at [1] will be we cannot use
the Apache mailing list for mail notifications from Apache Extra / Camel
Extra. But the discussion is still in progress and I will wait for a final
decision (which should be documented somewhere). However, we could also
create a new Forum at Nabble (or somewhere else) and forward the
issue/commit notifications to this forum. Everybody who is interested in
this notification can subscribe to this forum.

I'm not sure what the outcome will be for the documentation, we already
have in the Apache Confluence WIKI for Camel Extra components. May be we
have to move it to Camel Extra. But we will wait for the final decision...

[1]
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/community-dev/201209.mbox/%3CCALvzYd-h4Q=cTEgGqCNEEninhVose8uiGt2gTK22n9cMr_kVyg@mail.gmail.com%3E

Best,
Christian

Re: [VOTE] Hide 'issues' tab in the Camel-Extra Google Project site

Posted by Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christian Müller <ch...@gmail.com>.
You can follow the discussion here [1].

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.

Posted by Willem jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Henryk Konsek <he...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christian Müller <ch...@gmail.com>.
This is what I want to figure out with the people on the right mailing list:

Posted by Henryk Konsek <he...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christian Müller <ch...@gmail.com>.
Hi Henryk!

Do you follow the other discussion [1]? Until this is not settled, I don't
want to change this. MAY BE we cannot use the the official Apache JIRA to
track issues at Apache extra...

[1]
http://camel.465427.n5.nabble.com/Re-Apache-Extras-notifications-was-Disable-GitHub-commenting-httpd-td5719778.html

Best,
Christian

Posted by Henryk Konsek <he...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christian Müller <ch...@gmail.com>.
I think a [DISCUSS] subject would have been better than a [VOTE], but
however...