Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org> on 2003/02/25 13:22:27 UTC

[Fwd: [proposal] daedalus jar repository (was: primary distribution location)]

ment to CC maven the first time, but missed an "a" in jakarta. Please join
discussion on community@apache and enlighten us with your experience :D

cheers!

- Leo

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com>.
On Tue, 2003-02-25 at 07:22, Leo Simons wrote:
> ment to CC maven the first time, but missed an "a" in jakarta. Please join
> discussion on community@apache and enlighten us with your experience :D

Leo, you started it so feel free to act as the liason. We're not working
toward an Apache only repository and I don't really even agree with it
but if you want to do the work and coordinate with us that's great. All
that matters to me is that the JARs make their way to the Ibiblio
repository.

I wish to remain focused on the larger Java community in general and
work on tools for the main repository but I'm certains tools and rules
of thumb will fall out of this.

--
jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason@zenplex.com
http://tambora.zenplex.org

Re: [Fwd: [proposal] daedalus jar repository (was: primary distribution location)]

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
Jason van Zyl wrote:
> I would imagine the Apache mirrors have the same policy with
> licensing as Apache?

http://www.apache.org/mirrors/ lists lots of mirrors. These do not all
have the same mirroring policy. For example, I know for sure that
ibiblio (mirrors apache at
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/packages/infosystems/WWW/servers/apache/)
does not have the same policy :D

According to http://www.apache.org/info/how-to-mirror.html, the only
things you can be sure of that is common among all the mirror sites is
that they adhere to this list:

     *  At least 10 GB of available disk space. The current site is
around 1.7 GB, but we wish to leave room for considerable expansion.
     * You must carry the complete site, with no "local" changes.
     * You must do an update-check at least once a day.
     * You must subscribe to the mailing list for mirror maintainers.

> If this is so then we can't use those but if that's
> not the case maybe we could use those as mirrors too.

I think there's lots of potential hosts for maven-style repositories,
and http://www.apache.org/mirrors/ may be a good place to start. I
believe all these mirrors are subscribed to mirrors@apache.org, so
sending a message out on that list might be a good way to get a
selection of potential mirrors.

We don't want to be spamming these people, so you might want to check
with the infrastructure team first if it is okay to contact them this way.

It might also be a good idea to contact Sourceforge/OSDN/VA Systems
whether they would be willing to provide the bandwidth in one way or
another.

cheers,

- Leo

Re: [Fwd: [proposal] daedalus jar repository (was: primary distribution location)]

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
Jason van Zyl wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-02-25 at 07:22, Leo Simons wrote:
>
>>ment to CC maven the first time, but missed an "a" in jakarta. Please join
>>discussion on community@apache and enlighten us with your experience :D
>

> Just let me know when you want to try the transfer of JARs. They will go
> to a staging area to be validated first and then moved into the
> repository proper. We have Ibiblio and 3 mirrors now and a few more in
> the works. I would imagine the Apache mirrors have the same policy with
> licensing as Apache?

me too, but I dunno.

> If this is so then we can't use those but if that's
> not the case maybe we could use those as mirrors too. Do you think you
> could check that out?

can do, will travel.

cheers!

- Leo

Re: [Fwd: [proposal] daedalus jar repository (was: primary distribution location)]

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com>.
On Tue, 2003-02-25 at 07:22, Leo Simons wrote:
> ment to CC maven the first time, but missed an "a" in jakarta. Please join
> discussion on community@apache and enlighten us with your experience :D

Just let me know when you want to try the transfer of JARs. They will go
to a staging area to be validated first and then moved into the
repository proper. We have Ibiblio and 3 mirrors now and a few more in
the works. I would imagine the Apache mirrors have the same policy with
licensing as Apache? If this is so then we can't use those but if that's

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason@zenplex.com
http://tambora.zenplex.org