Posted to pluto-dev@portals.apache.org by Patrick Huber <st...@gmail.com> on 2005/12/06 07:28:47 UTC

The new Pluto Portal

Hi all

I was trying to get the latest version of the pluto portal up and
running. Deployment worked fine an tomcat picked the pluto and
testsuite wars up.

Now I'm wondering with what user I can log in to the portal. I tried a
user with the manager role from tomcat-users.xml but I get a 403,
access denied. I checked the source tree and found this one sql script
where a db structure is added but it appears there is no explicit user
table and no user data inserted.

While trying to get this running I also deleted ${user.home}/.pluto
since it helped before. Now that directory isn't being recreated.
Neither during compile/deploy nor during tomcat startup.

So I guess security is handled outside of the portal? How can I get
this up and running?

Thanks
Patrick

--
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly
by." -- Douglas Adams

Re: The new Pluto Portal

Posted by "David H. DeWolf" <dd...@apache.org>.
no, security uses simple form authentication. . .create a user with
the role "pluto" and login with that user.

Sorry. . .more updates coming. . .

David

Re: The new Pluto Portal - RESOLVED

Posted by "David H. DeWolf" <dd...@apache.org>.
This was in fact a but that I introduced when I started using spring to
inject the properties.  For some reason, spring decided to use the
two-argument constructor even though I provided only one argument -- and
  just provide the same value twice. . .

I'm cleaning up some more stuff and will be checking this in tonight --
watch for the commit message.

David

Re: The new Pluto Portal

Posted by Patrick Huber <st...@gmail.com>.
Oh and, pluto-descriptor-util should probably be pluto-descriptor-impl
in the file /pluto/pluto-ant-tasks/src/site/apt/getting-started.apt

Patrick

Re: The new Pluto Portal

Posted by Patrick Huber <st...@gmail.com>.
Here's another one...

Re: The new Pluto Portal

Posted by "David H. DeWolf" <dd...@apache.org>.
FYI. . .

Re: The new Pluto Portal

Posted by Patrick Huber <st...@gmail.com>.
Hi Craig & David
I do like to be somewhat involved in this. It does take quite a fraction of
the time of my thesis' time and I'm currently constantly working overtime.
But it's fun.

So now after a complete fresh install of tomcat an pluto, adding a user, the
login part works (thanks for the hint).

But no database is being created.

I tried a few things and just noticed, the optional services are not listed
in the summary at the end of executing pluto:install. The rest of the output
before the summary gives no hint on wether the optional services did
anything or if there was an error.

--

Posted by CD...@hannaford.com.

Re: The new Pluto Portal

Posted by "David H. DeWolf" <dd...@apache.org>.
craig, I haven't seen any problems with the db creation.  how does this
relate to patrick's problem? or is it a seperate problem you're having.

we can talk about user credentials. . .I implemented the security to resolve
a jira issue -- maybe I tightened down the hatches too much. I'd definately
like to stick with declarative security.

I'll do more testing after I get the snow cleaned off my driveway and make
my way through the horrible traffic and into work :)

David

On 12/6/05, CDoremus@hannaford.com <CD...@hannaford.com> wrote:

> Hi Patrick,
>
> I'm not sure what happened to the database creation code, but I ran a
> quick SVN update and build Pluto 1.1 this morning and a new database was
> not created after I deleted the old one. David, can you comment on this?
>
> The Pluto 1.1 portal is currently protected to only allow users with a
> role called 'pluto' (see web.xml), so you need to add that role and a user
> belonging to that role to tomcat-users.xml. I'd like to change that
> restriction and only require a login for the testsuite test of the
> PortletRequest.isUserInRole() functionality. When we get around to
> implementing admin portlets in Pluto 1.1, I'd like them restricted to a
> user in 'admin' role.  David, please  comment on this too.
>
> Thank you for keeping us Pluto 1.1 developers on our toes!!
> /Craig
> Craig Doremus
> Senior J2EE Application Developer
> Hannaford Bros
>

>  *Patrick Huber <st...@gmail.com>*
>
> 12/06/2005 01:28 AM  Please respond to
> pluto-dev@portals.apache.org

> pluto-dev@portals.apache.org  cc
>
>  Subject
> The new Pluto Portal
>

> Hi all
>
> I was trying to get the latest version of the pluto portal up and
> running. Deployment worked fine an tomcat picked the pluto and
> testsuite wars up.
>
> Now I'm wondering with what user I can log in to the portal. I tried a
> user with the manager role from tomcat-users.xml but I get a 403,
> access denied. I checked the source tree and found this one sql script
> where a db structure is added but it appears there is no explicit user
> table and no user data inserted.
>
> While trying to get this running I also deleted ${user.home}/.pluto
> since it helped before. Now that directory isn't being recreated.
> Neither during compile/deploy nor during tomcat startup.
>
> So I guess security is handled outside of the portal? How can I get
> this up and running?
>
> Thanks
> Patrick
>
> --
> "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly
> by." -- Douglas Adams

Re: The new Pluto Portal

Posted by CD...@hannaford.com.