Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com> on 2012/10/28 06:27:46 UTC

[math] Apachecon US talk

I am thinking about submitting a proposal for a talk on Commons Math
at Apachecon US in Portland next February.  The agenda I have in
mind is more or less the following:

0.  A little history - how it started, guiding principles, how the
community has grown
1.  High-level overview of top-level packages - what Commons Math
contains
2.  Some practical applications - examples showing how to find and
use things in Commons Math
3.  Challenges developing a general-purpose open source library in
Java - a few design and community challenges and how we are solving them

Is anyone interested in either a) joining as a speaker or b) helping
develop the content?  Any better ideas on how to approach a
general-audience talk on [math]?

In any case, if the proposal gets accepted, I will welcome ideas /
patches to whatever I come up with.

Phil

Re: [math] Apachecon US talk

Posted by Luc Maisonobe <lu...@spaceroots.org>.
Hi Phil,

Le 28/10/2012 06:27, Phil Steitz a écrit :
> I am thinking about submitting a proposal for a talk on Commons Math
> at Apachecon US in Portland next February.  The agenda I have in
> mind is more or less the following:
>
> 0.  A little history - how it started, guiding principles, how the
> community has grown
> 1.  High-level overview of top-level packages - what Commons Math
> contains
> 2.  Some practical applications - examples showing how to find and
> use things in Commons Math
> 3.  Challenges developing a general-purpose open source library in
> Java - a few design and community challenges and how we are solving them

The agenda looks great!

> Is anyone interested in either a) joining as a speaker or b) helping
> develop the content?  Any better ideas on how to approach a
> general-audience talk on [math]?
>
> In any case, if the proposal gets accepted, I will welcome ideas /
> patches to whatever I come up with.

I'll send you the slides of the presentation I will do at ApacheCon EU
in Sinsheim in a few weeks. I have still to write them ... The talk is
about the challenges of using open-source in the space fields from a
community aspect (it is scheduled on the community track). It may fit in
your third item.

best regards,
Luc