Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by Kevin Rutherford <ke...@planetcad.com> on 2001/03/06 18:05:48 UTC

Building a suite off applications with Turbine (re-post)

Sorry for the re-post, but I posted this to the old Turbine list just before
it was discontinued. I did not see any responses, so here it is again:

We are building an "integrated suite" of web applications with Turbine. We
want the applications to share some resources, such as user authentication,
file storage, and possibly some action and/or screen classes.

If we set up multiple Turbine "applications" on the same server (in separate
directories under webapps, running separate instances of the Turbine
servlet), are there any problems using Turbine this way? As I understand it,
each application will get its own instances of the Turbine services, etc.
because each application is running in a separate context (if I am using the
correct term here). Is it OK to use Turbine in this manner, or are there any
issues (e.g. synchronization) within the Turbine code that could cause
problems?

It seems that the alternative would be to create a single application and
organize the screens, actions, etc. into separate subdirectories. However, I
believe this brings up some other issues, such as possible class name
conflicts. For example, if two of the applications have an "UploadFile"
action, there is no way to specify which one we want at run time since
Turbine searches the paths specified by "module.packages" until it finds the
first one - correct?

Any recommendations on the proper way to use Turbine for a "suite" of
applications?

Thanks,

Kevin

Re: Building a suite off applications with Turbine (re-post)

Posted by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
on 3/6/01 9:05 AM, "Kevin Rutherford" <ke...@planetcad.com>
wrote:

> Any recommendations on the proper way to use Turbine for a "suite" of
> applications?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kevin

People responded to you. Please read their posts.

-jon

your pain to new levels. --Anonymous