Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Rajesh Kannan <kr...@rediffmail.com> on 2001/11/05 17:36:23 UTC

Servlets and dlls

Dear all,

I have developed and deployed a web application using Apache-TOMCAT
combination.

One of the servlets in the Web application is using a dll(dynamic link
library).

This dll is loaded using System.loadLibrary() method. The servlet is
working fine and meeting the intended function.

But while shutting down the TOMCAT the following error is thrown.

Debug Assertion Failed!
Program:d:\jdk1.3\bin\java.exe
File:dllmodul.cpp
Line:212

Abort  Retry  Ignore

Can any one of you advise how to solve the problem?? Or how normally
dll should be loaded and unloaded???

Thanks in advance

With regards
K.RajeshKannan

Re: Servlets and dlls

Posted by Denis Balazuc <de...@trader.com>.
Hi

We are also using DLLs inside our Web app and do not have the problem with
Tomcat 3.2.3 using JDK 1.3.1
What is the version of Tomcat you are using ?

Maybe it's a problem with the DLL itself when the system is trying to unload
it:

Java does not provide any unloadLibrary() method, so your DLL hangs around
until Tomcat stops.
Now, arrived to this point, the DLL may or may not be unloaded by the win32
system.
This all depends wherever your DLL is shared by other programs and/or
multiple instances are running at the same time.
Generally speaking, it's all related with those 2 methods (found within the
DLL code)

int MyDll::ExitInstance()
STDAPI DllCanUnloadNow(void)

The DllCanUnloadNow() code is straight forward and just calls
AfxDllCanUnloadNow().
The ExitInstance() unregisters all COM servers that have been registered by
the DLL, and destroys local objects.
It then calls super.ExitInstance()

oops.. ;-) sorry I mean...
CWinApp::ExitInstance()

If you want the whole code, send me a private e-mail.

Hope this helps