Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org> on 2002/06/15 17:43:54 UTC

What is Cocoon?

"Andrew C. Oliver" wrote:

> > > Just what IS Cocoon?
> >
> >This one will be solved when Cocoon Blocks are available and every
> >installation can be customized depending on the needs and 3rd party stuff
> >can be provided as blocks and not with the core.
>
> No.  It will be mitigated, but not solved.  Still answer "What is
> Cocoon?"  -- try it.

I've been thinking a lot about this: how should we market Cocoon? Right
now it's simply too hard since Cocoon has grown to be too many things in
one place. This is why I proposed the creation of blocks.

After blocks are implemented (yes, expect big RT on this very soon)
Cocoon will change from a big WAR to a smaller WAR that implements a COB
(COcoon Block) container and provides some standard blocks.

Giacomo calls this block container a 'naked cocoon' and I love the
concept: it's the cocoon core, with no direct functionality. Blocks will
provide functionality. Some blocks are written by you, some blocks are
installed from other places.

A 'naked cocoon' is an server-side XML application framework.

That is: cocoon is glue for your web needs.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.

Re: What is Cocoon?

Posted by Andy Lewis <aj...@ascii27.net>.
  > > Just what IS Cocoon?
  > A 'naked cocoon' is an server-side XML application framework.
  > That is: cocoon is glue for your web needs.

In line with the name, this makes me think of it as a comtainer wrapped around the metamorphisis....

imagine that...

--
"The heights of genius are only measurable by the depths of stupidity."

Re: What is Cocoon?

Posted by Bert Van Kets <be...@vankets.com>.
At 17:43 15/06/2002 +0200, you wrote:

> > >This one will be solved when Cocoon Blocks are available and every
> > >installation can be customized depending on the needs and 3rd party stuff
> > >can be provided as blocks and not with the core.
> >
> > No.  It will be mitigated, but not solved.  Still answer "What is
> > Cocoon?"  -- try it.
>
>I've been thinking a lot about this: how should we market Cocoon? Right
>now it's simply too hard since Cocoon has grown to be too many things in
>one place. This is why I proposed the creation of blocks.
>
>After blocks are implemented (yes, expect big RT on this very soon)

Anxiously awaiting this ;-)

>Cocoon will change from a big WAR to a smaller WAR that implements a COB
>(COcoon Block) container and provides some standard blocks.
>
>Giacomo calls this block container a 'naked cocoon' and I love the
>concept: it's the cocoon core, with no direct functionality. Blocks will
>provide functionality. Some blocks are written by you, some blocks are
>installed from other places.

I suppose that XSLT will be the default standard implementation.

>A 'naked cocoon' is an server-side XML application framework.

Indeed it is.

>That is: cocoon is glue for your web needs.

The fun is that the "needs" can be VERY different.  I have some ideas where
I want to use Cocoon that are very versatile.

Bert