Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Michael Reitz <al...@assimilate.de> on 2003/04/11 16:08:42 UTC

Installing svnserve as service under Windows NT/2K/XP

I wanted to install svnserve.exe as service on my W2K Sp3 machine.
I used XNET (by Ruud van Velsen) for installing it as a service with the
following command line: C:\Subversion\svnserve.exe -d

However, I didn't manage to successfully start svnserve as service (even
when running it with an user account).
Isn't it possible to run svnserve as a service?

BTW, what is the meaning of the -X and -t command line parameters of
svnserve?

Michael

Re: Installing svnserve as service under Windows NT/2K/XP

Posted by Greg Hudson <gh...@MIT.EDU>.
I know essentially nothing about Windows, so I can't address your
specific problem.  But I can answer your aside:

On Fri, 2003-04-11 at 12:08, Michael Reitz wrote:
> BTW, what is the meaning of the -X and -t command line parameters of
> svnserve?

-X is for debugging.  Without forking, it accepts one connection over
the net, serves it, and exits.

-t is for tunneling over ssh or a similar remote login agent.  It serves
one connection over stdin/stdout, and assumes that the connection is
authorized to act as the current uid.

Re: Installing svnserve as service under Windows NT/2K/XP

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
Michael Reitz wrote:

>| i doubt anyone but you has tried it.
>|
>| even if you do get it running though, you will have problems, as
>| svnserve is completely single threaded under windows (since windows
>| lacks fork, and svnserve currently depends on fork for handling multiple
>| concurrent accesses).  this is especially problematic since there are
>| some svn operations that require multiple connections to the server in
>| order to function, and thus they won't work at all.
>|
>I've already read that in the mailing list archive.
>However, I use TortoiseSVN (not supporting copy, move and merge operations
>yet) and an external diff application on the client side; are there still
>problems to be expected.

well, tortoisesvn is still using the same underlying subversion
libraries, so it is likely to run into the same issues as the command
line client.  i'm not sure precisely what commands would cause the
problems, but running svnserve on win32 is still something that very few
people have even tried, so it's likely you'll run into problems.

-garrett

Re: Installing svnserve as service under Windows NT/2K/XP

Posted by Michael Reitz <al...@assimilate.de>.
| i doubt anyone but you has tried it.
|
| even if you do get it running though, you will have problems, as
| svnserve is completely single threaded under windows (since windows
| lacks fork, and svnserve currently depends on fork for handling multiple
| concurrent accesses).  this is especially problematic since there are
| some svn operations that require multiple connections to the server in
| order to function, and thus they won't work at all.

I've already read that in the mailing list archive.
However, I use TortoiseSVN (not supporting copy, move and merge operations
yet) and an external diff application on the client side; are there still
problems to be expected.
In case of fire I would just execute svn.exe commands directly on my
machine.

BTW, I got a very positive first impression of Subversion and TortoiseSVN
today. Thanks for these great tools!

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.