Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net> on 2006/09/03 00:26:25 UTC

[VOTE] Release MINA 0.9.5

Hi all,

We have the same dependency issue as last time with ApacheDS and MINA
where a dep on shared-asn1 is forcing us to have to release MINA in
order to release ApacheDS.  We really need to find a solution to this
problem for the next MINA/ApacheDS release.  For now here's the problem
in detail:

MINA's 0.9.4 filter-codec-asn1 project depends on ApacheDS' 0.9.5.1
shared-asn1.  ApacheDS 1.0-C4 depends on 0.9.5.2 of the shared-asn1 and
on MINA 0.9.4.  Now via transitive dependencies ApacheDS will have a
dependency on both shared-asn1 versions 0.9.5.1 and 0.9.5.2.  Maven will
pick the higher revision but unforseen problems can result.

To solve this problem we would like to release MINA so the
filter-codec-asn1 module depends on shared-asn1 version 0.9.5.2 instead
of 0.9.5.1.

Besides this, MINA has had several enhancements that we probably want to
get out the door.

[ ] +1 release MINA 0.9.5
[ ] +/-0 abstain
[ ] -1 do not release MINA 0.9.5

I'll start another thread on possible long term solutions to fixing this
dependency problem for good.

Thanks,
Alex

Re: Additional questions regarding MINA 0.9.5

Posted by Trustin Lee <tr...@gmail.com>.
On 9/4/06, Kok Hoor (Gmail) <ko...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> There is this slight issue that I face with Mina. It is a minor issue only
> though.
>
> I am using Windows XP as the development and testing environment, and I
> have
> three separate instances of Mina running, one is the Server simulator,
> another is the Proxy and the last is the Client simulator. When I press
> Ctrl-C in the Proxy, and the Proxy terminates, the Client, which uses an
> IOConnector, and is still sending messages to the Proxy will receive an
> exception from the Proxy:
>
>         java.io.IOException: An existing connection was forcibly closed by
> the remote host
>
> My exceptionCaught function will close the Session. The code for my
> function
> is below:
>
>     public void exceptionCaught( IoSession session, Throwable cause )
>     {
>         SessionLog.info( session, "SxCommServerSessionHandler::Exception:"
> +
> cause);
>         cause.printStackTrace();
>         // close the connection on exceptional situation
>         session.close();
>     }
>
> However, I still need to wait for around 10 - 30 seconds before my client
> application exits. I have already inserted 'session.isClosing()' calls
> before doing writes to prevent future writes from blocking the close. Is
> it
> due to NIO? Or is there anything I can do to explicitly to increase my
> client shutdown time? It is funny because using conventional Java sockets,
> do not this problem.

Well, usually, all servers should provide a way to shut itself down
gracefully such as:

1) unbind the port
2) close all connections
3) exit

It is a little bit weird that you are getting the exception even if you
terminated the server with CTRL+C.  It is usually thrown when you killed a
process with -9 option.

HTH,
Trustin
http://gleamynode.net/
--
PGP key fingerprints:
* B693 628E 6047 4F8F CFA4  455E 1C62 A7DC 0255 ECA6

Re: Additional questions regarding MINA 0.9.5

Posted by "Kok Hoor (Gmail)" <ko...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

[...]

client shutdown time? It is funny because using conventional Java sockets, I
do not this problem.

Regards,
    Kok Hoor

Posted by "Kok Hoor (Gmail)" <ko...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Just two questions regarding whether when the following stuffs will be
included in the 0.9 onwards releases:

1. Earlier, there was this bug filed regarding the need of adding a new Java
socket based provider instead of just relying on the NIO provider, due to
performance reasons. Is this still an issue

2. In addition, is the Serial Communications Provider still considered to be
included as a new Communications Provider for Mina?

Thanks in advance. I just want to say that MINA is great. Previously, my
company was contemplating whether to develop a new server using C++ in order
to allow Client PCs or Workstations to run a lightweight version of our
server instead of always requiring to install a full-fledged Tomcat + our
entire application on each workstations. However, after discovering MINA, we
all agreed that it is quite a feasible alternative to a C++ server, partly
because our Application Server is developed in Java, and the performance as
well as the ease of development using MINA is really quite impressive.

Keep up the good work, guys!!

Regards,
    Kok Hoor

Re: [VOTE] Release MINA 0.9.5

Posted by Trustin Lee <tr...@gmail.com>.
Hi Kok,

Re: [VOTE] Release MINA 0.9.5

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net>.
Trustin Lee wrote:

>> [X] +1 release MINA 0.9.5
>

> We fixed so many issues since 0.9.4.  Releasing 0.9.5 now is fine even
> though we didn't resolve some of important issues.  I will schedule it to
> resolve later.  Alex, please ping me when this vote is closed so that I can
> cut the release and take care of JIRA issues relating to the release.

Thanks T!  I'll get ahold of you before releasing.  I could do most of
the grunt work to release.

Alex

RE: [VOTE] Release MINA 0.9.5

Re: [VOTE] Release MINA 0.9.5

Posted by Trustin Lee <tr...@gmail.com>.

> [X] +1 release MINA 0.9.5

We fixed so many issues since 0.9.4.  Releasing 0.9.5 now is fine even
though we didn't resolve some of important issues.  I will schedule it to
resolve later.  Alex, please ping me when this vote is closed so that I can
cut the release and take care of JIRA issues relating to the release.

Cheers,
Trustin
http://gleamynode.net/

Re: [VOTE] Release MINA 0.9.5

Posted by Niklas Therning <ni...@trillian.se>.
[X] +1 release MINA 0.9.5

/Niklas

RE: [VOTE] Release MINA 0.9.5

Posted by Benoit Hudzia <be...@gmail.com>.
[X] +1 release MINA 0.9.5

Benoit Hudzia
Parallel Computing Research Group
School of Computer Science & Informatics
University College Dublin
Ireland

Tel: +353 1 716 2403
Fax: +353 1 269 7262
E-mail: benoit [dot] hudzia [at] ucd [dot] ie

Re: [VOTE] Release MINA 0.9.5

Posted by Ersin Er <er...@gmail.com>.
[X] +1 release MINA 0.9.5

--
Ersin

Re: [VOTE] Release MINA 0.9.5

Posted by Enrique Rodriguez <en...@gmail.com>.
Alex Karasulu wrote:
[ X ] +1 release MINA 0.9.5
[   ] +/-0 abstain
[   ] -1 do not release MINA 0.9.5

Enrique

Re: [VOTE] Release MINA 0.9.5

Posted by peter royal <pr...@apache.org>.
On Sep 2, 2006, at 3:26 PM, Alex Karasulu wrote:
> Besides this, MINA has had several enhancements that we probably
> want to get out the door.

[X] +1 release MINA 0.9.5

Re: [VOTE] Release MINA 0.9.5

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Release MINA 0.9.5

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net>.
Alex Karasulu wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We have the same dependency issue as last time with ApacheDS and MINA
> where a dep on shared-asn1 is forcing us to have to release MINA in
> order to release ApacheDS.  We really need to find a solution to this
> problem for the next MINA/ApacheDS release.  For now here's the problem
> in detail:
>
> MINA's 0.9.4 filter-codec-asn1 project depends on ApacheDS' 0.9.5.1
> shared-asn1.  ApacheDS 1.0-C4 depends on 0.9.5.2 of the shared-asn1 and
> on MINA 0.9.4.  Now via transitive dependencies ApacheDS will have a
> dependency on both shared-asn1 versions 0.9.5.1 and 0.9.5.2.  Maven will
> pick the higher revision but unforseen problems can result.
>
> To solve this problem we would like to release MINA so the
> filter-codec-asn1 module depends on shared-asn1 version 0.9.5.2 instead
> of 0.9.5.1.
>
> Besides this, MINA has had several enhancements that we probably want to
> get out the door.
>
> [ ] +1 release MINA 0.9.5
> [ ] +/-0 abstain
> [ ] -1 do not release MINA 0.9.5