Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@prima.de> on 2008/04/03 23:36:25 UTC

Re: using couchdb as caching system

Heya Sven,
On Mar 30, 2008, at 15:15, Sven Tietje wrote:

>>> do you have experience in using couchdb as caching-system? we are
>>> thinking about storing generated html-documents in couchdb. your
>>> experience?
>>
>> No experience so far, but why not use the filesystem? :-)
>
> hi jan,
>
> it`s a distributed system and only files like images, pdf are handled
> through the filesystem. caching should be done by a single independent
> server. another point is that we cache parts of a html-page -> some
> parts
> are generated dynamically. doing a request to the file-system for
> each part
> is not performant :-)
>
> i`d like to get all cached parts with one request. eg: html-page /
> blub.html
> ist called. now, there can be 2 cases:
>
> 1. total page has been cached
> 2. only parts have been cached
>
> i want to get all information with one request. storing it in
> couchdb would
> make it possible to store it all in one document - correct?
> {
> 	full_html: null or html,
> 	parts: {
> 	}
> }
>
> of course, i can store json in a file in the filesystem, but will i
> be able
> to scale my caching-system?

Okay, your reasons to use CouchDB seem, erm, reasonable :)
The only problem at the moment is that CouchDB does not
perform any internal caching. So all reads and writes go directly
through disk. While a caching layer is planned and relatively
easy to embed, it has not been done yet. So at the moment you
would not benefit from a lot of actual caching. In the future: Sure.
When: I do not know.

You could put a reverse HTTP proxy in front of CouchDB for the
actual caching in the meantime, though and remove it, when
CouchDB is fast enough for your needs.

Cheers
Jan