Posted to dev@lucy.apache.org by Nick Wellnhofer <we...@aevum.de> on 2014/01/02 20:25:52 UTC

Re: [lucy-dev] Break up repository

On Dec 20, 2013, at 18:09 , Nick Wellnhofer <we...@aevum.de> wrote:

> On Dec 20, 2013, at 17:46 , Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for taking the initiative!  I have two comments.
>>
>> First, if we populate the repo via a push, will that result in thousands of
>> emails to commits@lucy?  I think the commit hook will bail out, but I don't
>> know that for sure.  <http://s.apache.org/Vyp>.
>
> Good point. I’ll amend the INFRA ticket.

Jake Farrell from INFRA said that only a single email will be sent. I think what he meant is that the commit hook will only run once which will result in multiple emails but I’m pretty sure we’ll see the bail out message Marvin mentioned above.

>> Second, the tgz suggestion was partially motivated to so that others might
>> help out with QC.  ASF Git repos have receive.denyNonFastforwards set for the
>> master branch, so once we're set up there's no going back without Infra's
>> intervention.
>
> Oh, I didn’t know that.
>
>> To be honest, it's really hard to QC history, so I'm not sure how much help
>> having other people look things over would be.
>
> Personally, I prefer to review history with a web-based Git viewer. Maybe I should post the new repos to my Github account for review first.

I created to repos on Github after following the “git filter-branch” procedure for Clownfish and Charmonizer:

* https://github.com/nwellnhof/clownfish-rc1
* https://github.com/nwellnhof/charmonizer-rc1

The Clownfish history starts with this commit:

https://github.com/nwellnhof/clownfish-rc1/commit/f0ed0dccd7094bd301a1f25ed751610b46969746

I think this is good enough.

Nick

Re: [lucy-dev] Break up repository

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.
On Thu, Jan 2, 2014 at 11:25 AM, Nick Wellnhofer <we...@aevum.de> wrote:
> On Dec 20, 2013, at 18:09 , Nick Wellnhofer <we...@aevum.de> wrote:
>

>> On Dec 20, 2013, at 17:46 , Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks for taking the initiative!  I have two comments.
>>>
>>> First, if we populate the repo via a push, will that result in thousands of
>>> emails to commits@lucy?  I think the commit hook will bail out, but I don't
>>> know that for sure.  <http://s.apache.org/Vyp>.
>>
>> Good point. I’ll amend the INFRA ticket.
>
> Jake Farrell from INFRA said that only a single email will be sent. I think
> what he meant is that the commit hook will only run once which will result
> in multiple emails but I’m pretty sure we’ll see the bail out message Marvin
> mentioned above.

I later realized that that bail out message came from a Subversion commit.
While it would be good engineering for the git hook to exhibit the same
behavior, I have no evidence that it will.

> I created to repos on Github after following the “git filter-branch”
> procedure for Clownfish and Charmonizer:
>
> * https://github.com/nwellnhof/clownfish-rc1
> * https://github.com/nwellnhof/charmonizer-rc1

+1 for the Charmonizer repo.

+1 for the clownfish-rc2 repo you link to in a subsequent email.

> The Clownfish history starts with this commit:
>
> https://github.com/nwellnhof/clownfish-rc1/commit/f0ed0dccd7094bd301a1f25ed751610b46969746

(Ah memories...)

Look good to me!

Marvin Humphrey

Re: [lucy-dev] Break up repository

Posted by Nick Wellnhofer <we...@aevum.de>.
On Jan 2, 2014, at 20:25 , Nick Wellnhofer <we...@aevum.de> wrote:

> I created to repos on Github after following the “git filter-branch” procedure for Clownfish and Charmonizer:
>
> * https://github.com/nwellnhof/clownfish-rc1
> * https://github.com/nwellnhof/charmonizer-rc1

I created another repo for Clownfish which contains two additional branches from Lucy:

* https://github.com/nwellnhof/clownfish-rc2

Nick