Posted to dev@fluo.apache.org by Keith Turner <ke...@deenlo.com> on 2021/01/12 15:26:08 UTC

[DISCUSS] Release 2.0.0

I have been looking around at what may need to be done before a Fluo
release.  There were two issues w/ the 2.0.0 milestone, one was
already completed.  There other could not be done until after Accumulo
2.1.0 is released so I removed the 2.0.0 milestone from it.

I have been running the full build and fixed one reliably flaky IT.
There are some other flaky ones, but they are not as reliably flaky.

I successfully ran a small run of stresso on a single VM yesterday w/o
issue. I used Hadoop 3.1.3, ZK 3.4.14, and Accumulo 2.0.1.  I tried
using a newer version of ZK and ran into problems w/ Curator, ZK,
Hadoop and Accumulo.  These problems have nothing to do w/ Fluo, they
are just problems w/ the dependencies interacting w/ each other. Fluo
compiles fine against the old and new versions of ZK and Curator.  I
am not quite sure where it occurs, but at some point curator stopped
supporting ZK 3.4. I suspect these issues could be resolved at runtime
w/o any changes to Fluo. The following are the issues I recall
encountering.

 * Seems Mini Accumulo 2.0.0 does not support newer than ZK 3.4?  It
kept hanging w/ newer versions.
 * Newer versions of curator were trying to use a non-existant ZK
method.  Not exactly sure what was going on, some change between ZK
and Curator results in runtime exceptions.
 * I think newer version of Hadoop (maybe 3.3) are pulling in new
version of curator onto the classpath, which caused issues w/ older ZK
versions.  Not completely sure about this assumption, I may be wrong.
This problem was specific to stresso, which uses the yarn jar command
to run things.
 * Unrelated to curator, the Hadoop 3.1.4 shaded jars in maven seemed
to be empty.

I think the worst case of doing a 2.0.0 release now is that a 2.0.1
release w/ no API changes could possibly be needed to address possible
transitive dependency issues.

I think it would be nice to get the webindex example working against
2.0 before release, but I don't think it's required.  It's not using
any new APIs, so it would not test any new functionality.  I started
working on getting it in shape in the past and this required getting
Fluo Recipes up to date w/ the latest Accumulo 2.0 changes which I
did.  I also started getting Webindex up to date w/ Accumulo 2.0
changes, but did not complete that task.

There is always more work to do, but a lot has already been done for
2.0.0 and I think what is there is in really good shape and long
overdue for a release.

Re: [DISCUSS] Release 2.0.0

Posted by Keith Turner <ke...@deenlo.com>.
On Tue, Jan 12, 2021 at 11:30 PM Christopher <ct...@apache.org> wrote:

> [...]
> > any new APIs, so it would not test any new functionality.  I started
> > working on getting it in shape in the past and this required getting
> > Fluo Recipes up to date w/ the latest Accumulo 2.0 changes which I
> > did.  I also started getting Webindex up to date w/ Accumulo 2.0
> > changes, but did not complete that task.
> >
> > There is always more work to do, but a lot has already been done for
> > 2.0.0 and I think what is there is in really good shape and long
> > overdue for a release.
> >

> I'm inclined to agree. I think it would be fine to release with what is
> there now, as long as we're clear about what versions we've tried. I think
> you're right that most issues with newer versions could be addressed
> downstream with class path decisions. And, if there is something that can't
> be easily fixed, then releasing a 2.0.1 later would be reasonable.

I will look into spinning a RC

Re: [DISCUSS] Release 2.0.0

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.