Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org> on 2021/04/05 18:30:13 UTC

Encryption export license for Hop (incubating)

Hop is an incubating project that has just completed its second
release under incubation. I am a mentor of the project and an ASF
member.

We believe that the Hop crosses the line and requires us to notify the
U.S. government, the ASF encryption policy [1]. A committer has
prepared a patch containing the required notifications but no one has
yet applied the patch. The discussion and patch are in a JIRA case
[2].

Two questions:

1. If there is an encryption expert on this list, can they please
review the case and give their opinion about whether we need to notify
the U.S. government?

2. If we need to file, who has standing to do it? (For a top-level
project the policy states that the PMC chair should do it; but an
incubating project has no PMC chair, so it is my belief that the
Incubator chair should do it, but any other ASF officer could also do
it.)

Julian

[1] https://infra.apache.org/crypto.html

[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HOP-2469

Re: Encryption export license for Hop (incubating)

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org>.

> On Apr 5, 2021, at 11:32 AM, Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org> wrote:
>

>> On Apr 5, 2021, at 11:30 AM, Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hop is an incubating project that has just completed its second
>> release under incubation. I am a mentor of the project and an ASF
>> member.
>>
>> We believe that the Hop crosses the line and requires us to notify the
>> U.S. government, the ASF encryption policy [1]. A committer has
>> prepared a patch containing the required notifications but no one has
>> yet applied the patch. The discussion and patch are in a JIRA case
>> [2].
>>
>> Two questions:
>>
>> 1. If there is an encryption expert on this list, can they please
>> review the case and give their opinion about whether we need to notify
>> the U.S. government?
>>
>> 2. If we need to file, who has standing to do it? (For a top-level
>> project the policy states that the PMC chair should do it; but an
>> incubating project has no PMC chair, so it is my belief that the
>> Incubator chair should do it, but any other ASF officer could also do
>> it.)
>
> IMO - you as the podling Mentor and Apache Officer can make the change to the ECCN files in SVN.

s/Officer/Member/

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org>.