Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Karunakar Reddy <ka...@gmail.com> on 2013/10/20 19:23:56 UTC

difference between apache tomcat vs Jetty

Hi,
I want to know what is the difference between running solr on tomcat-apache
server vs jetty server in production.
With jetty there is some issue with indexing(eg: If 120k[batch size 100]
records are getting indexed, around 15k are missing).

Regards,
Karunakar.

Re: difference between apache tomcat vs Jetty

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.
Things have actually improved quite a bit in that area. There have been many optimizations and additional ways to create large data structures off heap added in recent releases.

Someday G1 might even help a bit.

- Mark

Posted by Tim Vaillancourt <ti...@elementspace.com>.

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Scott Vanderbilt <li...@datagenic.com>.
On 10/25/2013 8:18 AM, Cassandra Targett wrote:

> In terms of adding or fixing documentation, the "Installing Solr" page
> (https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/solr/Installing+Solr)
> includes a yellow box that says:
>
> "Solr ships with a working Jetty server, with optimized settings for
> Solr, inside the example directory. It is recommended that you use the
> provided Jetty server for optimal performance. If you absolutely must
> use a different servlet container then continue to the next section on
> how to install Solr."
>
> So, it's stated, but maybe not in a way that makes it clear to most
> users. And maybe it needs to be repeated in another section.
> Suggestions?
>
> I did find this page,
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/solr/Running+Solr+on+Jetty,
> which pretty much contradicts the previous text. I'll fix that now.
>
> Other recommendations for where doc could be more clear are welcome.

Here are a couple of suggestions:

<http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrJetty>

Under section captioned "Init script to run the Solr example", it
describes init scripts based on whether you are running Jetty 6 or 7.
The problem is, if you use the custom version of Jetty (start.jar)
provided with the distribution (apparently the recommended one to use
based on earlier ports in this thread) you don't know which version of
Jetty this is. Of course, some users might know that running:

    java -jar /var/solr/start.jar --version

will tell them which version of Jetty start.jar is based on. This may
not be obvious to everyone, however.

The other problem, of course, is that the latest versions of Solr (4.5.1
in particular) are based on Jetty 8, and there is no init script
provided for that version. If the Jetty 7 script still works for Jetty
8, then a note to the effect may help avoid confusion.

Thanks.

Re: difference between apache tomcat vs Jetty

Posted by Cassandra Targett <ca...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tim Vaillancourt <ti...@elementspace.com>.

Posted by Anshum Gupta <an...@anshumgupta.net>.

--

Anshum Gupta
http://www.anshumgupta.net

Re: difference between apache tomcat vs Jetty

Posted by Jonathan Rochkind <ro...@jhu.edu>.
This is good to know, and I find it welcome advice; I would recommend
making sure this advice is clearly highlighted in the relevant Solr
docs, such as any getting started docs.

I'm not sure everyone realizes this, and some go down tomcat route
without realizing the Solr committers recommend jetty -- or use a stock
jetty without realizing the 'example' jetty is recommended and actually
intended to be used by Solr users in production!  I think it's easy to
not catch this advice.

Posted by Shawn Heisey <so...@elyograg.org>.

Posted by Shawn Heisey <so...@elyograg.org>.
On 10/20/2013 11:23 AM, Karunakar Reddy wrote:
> I want to know what is the difference between running solr on tomcat-apache
> server vs jetty server in production.
> With jetty there is some issue with indexing(eg: If 120k[batch size 100]
> records are getting indexed, around 15k are missing).

We recommend jetty.  The solr example uses jetty.  Only jetty receives
testing - whenever someone runs the tests included in the source code,
jetty is used - A LOT.  No tests are done with other containers before
release unless a person installs it under something like tomcat and
tries it out.  After release, other container testing is pretty much
done by users that don't use jetty.

Can you detail the problems you are having with indexing?  How is the
indexing being done - DIH, SolrJ, curl, or some other method?  Are there
errors in the client application or the Solr server log?

Thanks,
Shawn

Re: difference between apache tomcat vs Jetty

Posted by Furkan KAMACI <fu...@gmail.com>.
Which Jira issue points for: "With jetty there is some issue with