Posted to general@xml.apache.org by As...@vocaltec.com on 2000/12/04 18:56:20 UTC

Xerces and Crimson's XmlWriter

Hi,
I hope I'm sending this to the right address, if not please forward to the
right one.

When I used the jaxp1.1EA  package from java.sun.com I found a great and
good looking way to output XML elements as text. Crimson uses XmlWriter &
XmlWriterContext for that use.

But, as good as that may be I found the jaxp package to be lacking some
support for XSLT which got me to stay with Xerces & Xalan.

I wonder, will the next version of Xerces (which the site says will use
the best parts from crimson) use XmlWriter or another way to output XML as
text easily?
and if so when is the next version expected ?

I thank you for the time spent on this correspondence,

Asaf Manela
TrulyGlobal Inc.
Unified Communications

http://guest.trulyglobal.com/amanela

Re: Xerces and Crimson's XmlWriter

Posted by Edwin Goei <Ed...@eng.sun.com>.
Asaf_Manela@vocaltec.com wrote:

> When I used the jaxp1.1EA  package from java.sun.com I found a great
> and good looking way to output XML elements as text. Crimson uses
> XmlWriter & XmlWriterContext for that use.

Those are non-standard parser-specific interfaces.  Unfortunately, there
is no current standard way of writing out XML.  This is being developed
for DOM level 3.

> But, as good as that may be I found the jaxp package to be lacking
> some support for XSLT which got me to stay with Xerces & Xalan.

JAXP 1.1 will include a more functional XSLT interface.  I think this is
implemented in Xalan 2 and is based on TRAX.  A JAXP 1.1 EA2 release
should be out soon which includes the crimson parser and xalan 2.

-Edwin