Posted to dev@drill.apache.org by Jacques Nadeau <ja...@gmail.com> on 2012/12/03 18:44:03 UTC

Does OpenDremel parser require more tools than are in the Logical Plan toolbox?

Hello fellow rotary tool users,

Is anybody up for looking at the OpenDremel parser checked in as part of
DRILL-8 and determining whether or not the concepts that it supports can
all be transformed into logical plans?  One way to start might be to try to
build a list of Dremel queries and then try to transform them manually into
logical plans.  The DRILL-3 branch has an example plan [1] that you can
look at for inspiration along with the Google doc.

For the expression language, there is a parser in the DRILL-3 branch that
supports simple function expressions as well as if's and case's from sql.

[1]
https://github.com/apache/incubator-drill/blob/DRILL-3/sandbox/prototype/common/src/test/resources/simple_plan.json

Thanks,
Jacques

Re: Does OpenDremel parser require more tools than are in the Logical Plan toolbox?

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
Yeah... Leo Gilyadov was going to do something about that, but I haven't
heard back from him much at all.

But one person volunteering doesn't mean somebody else shouldn't dig in.
 It is always better to have different points of view on the same task.
 Also, it often happens the life interferes with open source.

So if you have a yen to take a look, go for it.  Just hand translating half
a dozen queries would be a huge step.  You don't have to understand the
parser even.  And there are test queries in the parser area to get started
with.

Posted by Timothy Chen <tn...@gmail.com>.