Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Lars George <la...@gmail.com> on 2009/12/18 01:35:51 UTC

Encryption

Hey,

I was wondering if along with the DAC or before you ever considered
encrypting data? Like the compression, have a ColFam parameter that
specifies the encryption and the required details (password or
certificate/key) and it transparently encrypts the data written to DFS. We
did talk about this during the Munich OpenHUG and I was curious to know if
there was ever something like this considered.

Lars

Re: Encryption

Posted by Lars George <la...@gmail.com>.
Hi Andy,

I think this was more for native-Java to API. As that is RPC and not
secure, right? But I think I am good with what we talked about. If
someone really wants to secure their data then they have to do this
outside of HBase and be done with it. Wire security is only a minor
part in the overall scheme of things. Thanks!

Lars

Re: Encryption

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

Re: Encryption