Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Carlos Rovira <ca...@codeoscopic.com> on 2012/11/21 15:30:27 UTC

Flex Mobile components in desktop/browser applications

Hi,

I'd like to ask the motivation behind mobile components (like
ViewNavigator, CallOut,...) be only for mobile.

For example, a ViewNavigator is a great component for wizard
implementations having lot of sense in browser/desktop apps. The builtin
transitions and push/pop functionality is really cool!.

So what do you think about extend the use of mobile components to
browser/desktop apps.
Right now it could be done with some tricks like the ones described here:

http://www.riagora.com/2011/08/flex-mobile-in-the-browser/

In my test I need mobilecomponents.swc and mobile.swc in the project to get
it work, but a tight implementation should avoid that separation and bring
at least new MXML skins for desktop/browser applications while maintain
current mobile skins for mobile targets. So we could make some changes in
this direction in order to get a more natural use.

What do you think about it?

--
Carlos Rovira
Director de Tecnología

Re: Flex Mobile components in desktop/browser applications

Posted by Nicholas Kwiatkowski <ni...@spoon.as>.
Which combinations are you missing?

-Nick

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 11/21/12 7:09 AM, "FRANKLIN GARZON" <fg...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Also will be great in paralell way, if the customization of entry keyboard for
> mobile support more combinations, this will helpfuly for confort of client in
I think the keyboard types are part of the runtimes and not in Flex code, so
we don't have control over that.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

RE: Flex Mobile components in desktop/browser applications

Posted by FRANKLIN GARZON <fg...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Michael Schmalle <ap...@teotigraphix.com>.
Quoting Maxime Cowez <ma...@gmail.com>:

>> Are you willing to share your code of your CallOutButton?
> Sure, I'll try to set up a repo on GitHub as soon as I find some time.
>
>> and maybe submit to the Apache Flex?
> I'm afraid my implementation is a little bit too "ad hoc" for that. It was
> created to serve one use case only.
> For instance, the CallOut will always appear underneath the Button and
> horizontally centered to the Button's center. The mobile CallOutButton has
> a lot more options.

We always program what we need. So offering it up intact, you never
know who will come and refine the edges.

The mobile callout is insanely complicated as well.

Mike

--
Michael Schmalle - Teoti Graphix, LLC
http://www.teotigraphix.com

Re: Flex Mobile components in desktop/browser applications

Posted by Marcus Fritze <ma...@googlemail.com>.
Thank you Maxime. I will look into it.

RE: [Component] Spacer

Posted by Kessler CTR Mark J <ma...@usmc.mil>.
  Good point besides the general sizing/measuring I am wasting the rest... it simplifies it a  little too.  I don't use the spacers often, but I do use them to solve quick layouts for clients who must have a things displayed in a certain way.

Class:

//Declare package.
package spark.components
{
   import spark.primitives.supportClasses.GraphicElement;

   //Create child class of the GraphicElement class.
   public class Spacer extends GraphicElement
   {
      //----------------------------------------
      //  Constructor
      //----------------------------------------

      public function Spacer()
      {
         super();
      }

   }

}

-Mark

Posted by Maxime Cowez <ma...@gmail.com>.
[...]

On Fri, Dec 21, 2012 at 3:59 PM, Kessler CTR Mark J <

RE: [Component] Spacer

Posted by Kessler CTR Mark J <ma...@usmc.mil>.

--
Jeffry Houser
Technical Entrepreneur

Re: [Component] Spacer

Posted by Jeffry Houser <je...@dot-com-it.com>.

--
Jeffry Houser
Technical Entrepreneur

Re: [Component] Spacer

Posted by Carol Frampton <cf...@adobe.com>.

On 12/21/12 12 :08PM, "Alex Harui" <ah...@adobe.com> wrote:

>Don't you still need a class to have the name Spacer in ActionScript?  I
>think the manifest trick only works in MXML.

True.

Carol

Re: [Component] Spacer

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

Re: [Component] Spacer

Posted by Carol Frampton <cf...@adobe.com>.

[Component] Spacer

Posted by Kessler CTR Mark J <ma...@usmc.mil>.
Sounds good, look forward to trying it out when I get a moment.

-Mark

Posted by Maxime Cowez <ma...@gmail.com>.
@Marcus Here you go:

Posted by Kessler CTR Mark J <ma...@usmc.mil>.

Posted by Maxime Cowez <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Marcus Fritze <ma...@googlemail.com>.
@maxime

>>> http://www.directwriter.es

Posted by Cosma Colanicchia <co...@gmail.com>.
@maxime: true, but we should begin considering that touch interactions is
starting to exist on notebooks and desktop.. AIR and FP supports this since
some major releases (AIR 2 and FP 10 I think), Windows supports touch
screen since version 7, and with version 8 someone is actually selling such
kind of devices.. if I have a touch screen in a notebook, an O.S.
supporting it, a runtime supporting it, why can't I use touch to scroll
through a list just or to zoom an image, like I currently do on mobile
phones and tables?

Posted by Scott Rowe <sc...@mac.com>.

>>> http://www.directwriter.es

Posted by Maxime Cowez <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 11/21/12 7:08 AM, "Cosma Colanicchia" <co...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Actually, a lot of mobile features could be ported to desktop in the
> future, as it seems to me that the differences are going to be less and
> less with new desktop operationg systems and devices, e.g. windows 8
> tablets and touch enabled laptops.
>
> For example, the touch-enabled components (e.g. lists) and the DPI-based
> scaling feature of some mobile skins could probably be useful on the
> lastest touch-enabled laptop as well.. thoughts?

Yup, as long as you do it in a way that doesn't require functionality from
the latest runtimes.  Folks still want to see Flex run on older players, all
the way back to 10.x
--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

Re: Flex Mobile components in desktop/browser applications

Posted by Cosma Colanicchia <co...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Antonio Ortiz <ze...@hotmail.com>.
It will be great... :)

Posted by Cosma Colanicchia <co...@gmail.com>.
@alex

I see, I haven't tried it but it should be ok: the docs states that touch
APIs are part of the Flash Player (since 10.1), see [1] and [2].

I think that the DPI scaling functions are part of the Flex components, but
they probably rely on the value of Capabilities.screenDPI [3] which, while
supported on desktop and browser runtimes, probably reports an incorrect
value (at least on Windows, it seems locked to 72dpi)..

[1] http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flash/articles/multitouch_gestures.html
[2]
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/as3/dev/WS1ca064e08d7aa93023c59dfc1257b16a3d6-7ffe.html
[3]