Posted to user@ranger.apache.org by anurag <an...@gmail.com> on 2017/08/24 04:23:49 UTC

Sparksql support

All,
I was going through the following youtube video which talks about support
for sparksql in apache ranger
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGB4DZ29bv8&t=706s but I dont see any
release of apache ranger mentioning support for apache spark.Can you please
help and let me know what is the plan for sparksql support in apache ranger?
Thanks,
Anurag

Re: Sparksql support

Posted by Don Bosco Durai <bo...@apache.org>.
Anurag

Ranger support to SparkSQL is via LLAP/Hive RDD. All existing policies, that are access control, column masking and row-level filtering will be automatically get enforced when using SparkSQL RDD via LLAP/Hive. There are no additional configurations or changes required on the Ranger side.

> Can you please help and let me know what is the plan for sparksql support in apache ranger?

Ranger plugins co-exists on the server side. In the case Hive/LLAP RDD, it is in the HiveServer2 and LLAP server uses it for the enforcements and transformations. So essentially, it will come to the RDD provider. If it is constructed on the client side, then Ranger would not be able to support it.

Can you also clarify if there any specific use cases you have in your mind?

Thanks

Bosco