Posted to user@guacamole.apache.org by Don Eugene Paul Viado <de...@yahoo.com.INVALID> on 2022/01/23 14:00:26 UTC

Chrome OS PMA and keyboard shortcut on Full Screen in Windows OS

Hi Guys,
Sorry and I know I have asked this before and even raise as possible Feature Request and got a response from the core team.  However, I just want to know if anyone had any workaround.
I badly need to have Alt-Tab work on Chrome PMA in Windows as this is an important keyboard shortcut and affect my productivity if I cannot use it.  For Linux, MacOSX and even in Chromebook this works fine when using Chrome OS on PMA and in full screen.  The Alt-Tab shortcut is being passed correctly and focused on the remote machine I am connected to either Linux via VNC or Windows on RDP.  For some reason, this just doesn't work on Windows.
Does anyone of you have the same issue and would really be interested to know if you somehow made it work and how?  Thanks in advance.

Re: Chrome OS PMA and keyboard shortcut on Full Screen in Windows OS

Posted by Don Eugene Paul Viado <de...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
 Hi Nick,
Looks like it is what it is.
Really appreciate your feedback on this.
Thank you very much.    On Monday, 24 January 2022, 03:11:34 am SGT, Nick Couchman <vn...@apache.org> wrote:

 On Sun, Jan 23, 2022 at 9:00 AM Don Eugene Paul Viado <de...@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:

Hi Guys,
Sorry and I know I have asked this before and even raise as possible Feature Request and got a response from the core team.  However, I just want to know if anyone had any workaround.
I badly need to have Alt-Tab work on Chrome PMA in Windows as this is an important keyboard shortcut and affect my productivity if I cannot use it.  For Linux, MacOSX and even in Chromebook this works fine when using Chrome OS on PMA and in full screen.  The Alt-Tab shortcut is being passed correctly and focused on the remote machine I am connected to either Linux via VNC or Windows on RDP.  For some reason, this just doesn't work on Windows.

I am 99% you are never going to get this to work on Windows. Linux, Mac OS, and Chromebook (=Linux) are very configurable about keyboard shortcuts, which means the window manager on those systems is also more likely to be forgiving about passing the Alt+Tab key combination through to the web browser, allowing the browser to interpret the keystroke and send it on to Guacamole. Windows has a long history of locking in keyboard shortcuts with no room for configuration, and the side effect of this has been that it is almost impossible (impossible in my experience) to get the O/S to allow these key combinations to be interpreted by an application. Not only is this true of Chrome PMA/PWA, including Full Screen mode, but also of the new(ish) Keyboard Lock API, which is supposed to assist with making sure that key strokes are captured by the browser. My experience is that there are certain key combinations that are never going to make it past the O/S, and, in the case of Windows, Alt+Tab is one of them.
-Nick

Re: Chrome OS PMA and keyboard shortcut on Full Screen in Windows OS

Posted by Nick Couchman <vn...@apache.org>.