Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by manuel aldana <al...@gmx.de> on 2009/04/05 18:45:12 UTC

[grid-component] javascript style for ordering rows

I really like the grid component. Especially the built-in ordering
(clicking on column headers).

what I miss is that javascript is not used when ordering the tables, at
each click a complete HTTP request is fired. The data itself is not
changed so another server call wouldn't be necessary. I at least did not
find a javascript enable parameter.

If it is not supported yet, maybe this could be a nice improvement for
this component. For non-JS clients maybe there could even be a fallback
to standard HTTP request style.

Apart from that why was grid-component not desinged to use div-style
(vs. tables) for row layout? maybe due to browser compability
(especially older IEs)?

--
 manuel aldana
 aldana@gmx.de

Re: [grid-component] javascript style for ordering rows

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
Nested <divs> for layout is one thing, and has been distorted in the
past for a non-rectangular layout.

The Grid is displaying ordered rows and columns: what could be more
natural than a <table>?

On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 9:56 AM, manuel aldana <al...@gmx.de> wrote:
> Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo schrieb:
>>>
>>> [...] javascript enable parameter.
>>>

>> You're not exactly right. When Grid has more rows to show than rows
>> per page, you cannot just reorder the objects that are being shown,
>> you must reorder the whole row list. By the way, don't forget the
>> inplace="true" Grid parameter: it reorders the Grid using AJAX.
>>

> Yes, in my first thread post I overlooked the pagination problem.
> Thanks for the 'inPlace' parameter hint.
>

>>> Apart from that why was grid-component not desinged to use div-style (vs.
>>> tables) for row layout? maybe due to browser compability (especially
>>> older
>>> IEs)?
>>>

>> I'm not following you: it does use a table.
>>

> Yes, but I wonder why it does not use div-style.

Howard M. Lewis Ship

Re: [grid-component] javascript style for ordering rows

Posted by manuel aldana <al...@gmx.de>.

Posted by "Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo" <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by manuel aldana <al...@gmx.de>.
OK, maybe I see the reason for firing the request another time. It is
about the pagination if my list result (many entries) spans several
pages -> it is far from obvious to let javascript know how to order this...