Posted to user@karaf.apache.org by Bram Pouwelse <br...@pouwelse.com> on 2012/10/17 16:29:14 UTC

Memory usage

Hi,

I'm developing an application that using Pax Wicket running on Apache
Karaf. I'm having a memory usage issue that I don't really understand, I've
attached screenshot from server monitoring.

At the moment of the screenshot the server memory is almost completely
consumed by the java process (the coloured graph displays the server memory
usage) and the growth in the memory usage is almost linear. But when I look
at the JVM metrics the memory consumption doesn't grow in the same linear
way.

Is there an explanation for the gap between the memory usage in the JVM
metrics and the memory used by the java process?

I'm using Karaf 2.2.9 and java 1.6.0_35

Thanks,

Bram Pouwelse

Re: Memory usage

Posted by Bram Pouwelse <br...@pouwelse.com>.
I ran some tests last weekend and need to investigate further but it
seems that the application consumes more memory when I'm using the
Oracle JVM than when I use the OpenJDK JVM.

I've attached a weekly overview graph the first "mountain" is the run
from the first message in this thread,
The second is just a restart of the JVM to see what happens when I
don't use the application at all
The third is heavy usage on the Oracle JVM
The is heavy usage on the OpenJDK JVM

(heavy usage 5 j-meter threads continuously running)

Re: Memory usage

Posted by Bram Pouwelse <br...@pouwelse.com>.

Re: Memory usage

Posted by Achim Nierbeck <bc...@googlemail.com>.