Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Dmitry Negoda <nd...@cdev.ru> on 2006/10/02 09:04:24 UTC

What is the state of commons-vfs?

Hi, all!

Don't see any updates in commons-vfs project, and the latest news is dated 2005-09-26. We whould like to use it in our project. What is the development state of commons-vfs? I see a large TODO list but have no idea is it going released someday?

Thanks.

--
Sincerely yours,
Dmitry Negoda

SALES-N-STATS.COM
Glavpochtamt, p/o box 5152.   [web site] http://www.sales-n-stats.com/
432072 Ulyanovsk, Russia      [ phone  ] +7-(8422)-429038 (9:00-18:00 GMT +4)
                              [ fax    ]  1-270-568-5165

Re: What is the state of commons-vfs?

Posted by Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>.
Hi Dmitry!

> Don't see any updates in commons-vfs project, and the latest news is dated 2005-09-26.
The last commit is from 28-Aug-2006 and some new features have been
implemented during the last year.

> We whould like to use it in our project. What is the development state of commons-vfs?
There is development, even tough, its very moderat. Mainly bugfixing and
rare new features. The reason that we don't have a release yet is simply
that I didn't take the time to prepare it.

> I see a large TODO list but have no idea is it going released someday?

Well, there should be work for the future ;-)
Personally, some of the TODO entries are just nothing I have a need for.
As always (often), an open-source project is driven from the needs of
the community.

The good news are, VFS can be treated as stable and releasable, the bad
news are that I am the only "active" developer currently, tough, I use
it in our application too, so you can be sure there will be support for
fixing bugs - not only from me, but also from the Jakarta Commons community.

Ciao,
Mario