Posted to dev@tapestry.apache.org by Glen Stampoultzis <gs...@iinet.net.au> on 2003/11/18 05:35:21 UTC

Abstract Engine

Just wanted to report on some difficulties I've had in extending base
page.  I've been wanting to hook into the service() method in
AbstractEngine but because that method is so big and includes lots of
references to private method variables it's very difficult to extend easily.

My wish for future versions of Tapestry is that this get's cleaned up so
that it's easier to extend.  To be more specific about what I'm trying to
do...  I'm trying to call certain code when a page render works correctly
and certain code when the page fails to render correctly.  I think this is
possible but involves extending methods in a variety of non-obvious ways.

Maybe I should should just shutup and submit a patch...  There's an
idea.  Are you interested in such a patch?

Regards,

Glen Stampoultzis
gstamp@iinet.net.au

Re: Abstract Engine

Posted by Glen Stampoultzis <gs...@iinet.net.au>.
I'll just send in a patch.  Easier than explaining it.

At 01:02 AM 19/11/2003, you wrote:
>On Monday, November 17, 2003, at 11:35  PM, Glen Stampoultzis wrote:
>>
>>Just wanted to report on some difficulties I've had in extending base
>>page.  I've been wanting to hook into the service() method in
>>AbstractEngine but because that method is so big and includes lots of
>>references to private method variables it's very difficult to extend easily.
>>
>>My wish for future versions of Tapestry is that this get's cleaned up so
>>that it's easier to extend.  To be more specific about what I'm trying to
>>do...  I'm trying to call certain code when a page render works correctly
>>and certain code when the page fails to render correctly.  I think this
>>is possible but involves extending methods in a variety of non-obvious ways.
>>
>>Maybe I should should just shutup and submit a patch...  There's an
>>idea.  Are you interested in such a patch?
>
>I'm a bit confused.  Your subject says Abstract Engine, but then you talk
>about base page.
>
>If there is ever an issue with extending Abstract "anything", just fall
>back to the I "whatever".... IEngine, IPage, etc.  The Abstract ones are
>there for general uses, but if you're doing something out of what it
>provides then go straight to the interface.
>
>         Erik

Glen Stampoultzis
gstamp@iinet.net.au

Re: Abstract Engine