Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu> on 2004/09/11 18:56:36 UTC

Re: svn commit: rev 45902 - geronimo/trunk

	Is there a subversion equivalent to .cvsignore?

Aaron

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <ds...@gluecode.com>.
On Sep 11, 2004, at 9:13 PM, Aaron Mulder wrote:

> On Sat, 11 Sep 2004, Dain Sundstrom wrote:
>> Aaron, do you want to handle this one?  I'm going to try to figure out
>> the keyword problem.
>
> 	I'll take a look at restoring the ignore properties tomorrow.
>
> 	What was it you were doing with execute bits?  What does the
> execute bit mean in subversion?  Will it actually mark it with the
> execute
> filesystem flag when checked out on *nix or something?  Or is it just
> related to whether it treats the file as text or binary or something?

Everything you want to know is in the Subversion book :)  This is from
pages 114-5:

svn:executable
The svn:executable property is used to control a versioned file's
filesystem-level execute permission bit in a semi-automated way. This
property has no defined values—its mere presence indicates a desire
that the execute permission bit be kept enabled by Subversion. Removing
this property will restore full control of the execute bit back to the
operating system.

On many operating systems, the ability to execute a file as a command
is governed by the presence of an execute permission bit. This bit
usually defaults to being disabled, and must be explicitly enabled by
the user for each file that needs it. In a working copy, new files are
being created all the time as new versions of existing files are
received during an update. This means that you might enable the execute
bit on a file, then update your working copy, and if that file was
changed as part of the update, its execute bit might get disabled. So,
Subversion provides the svn:executable property as a way to keep the
execute bit enabled.

This property has no effect on filesystems that have no concept of an
executable permission bit, such as FAT32 and NTFS. 28 Also, although it
has no defined values, Subversion will force its value to * when
setting this property. Finally, this property is valid only on files,
not on directories.

-dain

Re: svn commit: rev 45902 - geronimo/trunk

Posted by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu>.
On Sat, 11 Sep 2004, Dain Sundstrom wrote:
> Aaron, do you want to handle this one?  I'm going to try to figure out
> the keyword problem.

	I'll take a look at restoring the ignore properties tomorrow.

	What was it you were doing with execute bits?  What does the
execute bit mean in subversion?  Will it actually mark it with the execute
filesystem flag when checked out on *nix or something?  Or is it just
related to whether it treats the file as text or binary or something?

	Also, after reading about subversion, I have to say that it makes
Maven more attractive -- if you store all your 3rd party libs in the
repository then they take double the disk space per project, whereas with
maven there's only one shared copy across projects.

Aaron

Re: svn commit: rev 45902 - geronimo/trunk

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <ds...@gluecode.com>.
I found this in the subversion book:

Ignore Patterns for CVS Users The Subversion svn:ignore property is
very similar in syntax and function to the CVS .cvsignore file. In
fact, if you are migrating a CVS working copy to Subversion, you can
directly migrate the ignore patterns by using the .cvsignore file as
input file to the svn propset command:

$ svn propset svn:ignore -F .cvsignore .
property 'svn:ignore' set on '.'
$

There are, however, some differences in the ways that CVS and
Subversion handle ignore patterns. The two systems use the ignore
patterns at some different times, and there are slight discrepancies in
what the ignore patterns apply to. Also, Subversion does not recognize
the use of the ! pattern as a reset back to having no ignore patterns
at all.

--
Dain Sundstrom
Chief Architect