Posted to user@hive.apache.org by Awhan Patnaik <aw...@spotzot.com> on 2016/01/07 11:40:35 UTC

query execution time in hive

Hello all
With respect to command line hive shell, is the query execution time
reported  by hive the total time elapsed since the issue of the query or
the actual time spent in the query itself?

I ask this because of the following observation. In general when I issue a
query, very soon I start to see map and reduce progress. This way I know my
query is running. Often times I see that no progress is shown. I am
assuming that the query is in ACCEPTED state as this point. But if the time
reported by hive includes this waiting time then I do not get an accurate
estimate of the query execution time. This is not helpful for query
performance profiling.

So the question is this. How to I get the query execution time for the
actual mapreduce processes without baby sitting the query?

Regards,
Awhan

Re: query execution time in hive

Posted by Awhan Patnaik <aw...@spotzot.com>.
Thanks.

Posted by Mich Talebzadeh <mi...@peridale.co.uk>.
As far as I can see the easiest option is to use

select from_unixtime(unix_timestamp(), 'dd/MM/yyyy HH:mm:ss.ss') AS StartTime;

.. your query here

select from_unixtime(unix_timestamp(), 'dd/MM/yyyy HH:mm:ss.ss') AS EndTime;

LinkedIn   <https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=AAEAAAAWh2gBxianrbJd6zP6AcPCCdOABUrV8Pw> https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=AAEAAAAWh2gBxianrbJd6zP6AcPCCdOABUrV8Pw

 <http://login.sybase.com/files/Product_Overviews/ASE-Winning-Strategy-091908.pdf> http://login.sybase.com/files/Product_Overviews/ASE-Winning-Strategy-091908.pdf

 <http://talebzadehmich.wordpress.com/> http://talebzadehmich.wordpress.com