Posted to user@ant.apache.org by S I <xi...@hotmail.com> on 2005/07/07 18:18:16 UTC

Branching off of Main

Hi

We're a Java shop serving our product on the web and soon to branch off for
our next release.  My current build.xml file checksout from MAIN nightly,
modifies couple of files by time and date stamping them, tags the
repository, compiles, and deploys the WAR files onto the servers under
Tomcat.

I'm thinking to write a separate build file for the branching.  Or should I
just add a conditional target to the current build file to deal with this?
Something like, if property equal 'build' do nightly build but if property
equal 'branch' to a branch build. What's the cleanest or actually most
efficient way to handle this?

I also have to write code for patch builds but I'm not sure how I can fully
automate this and parse out only the files that have been modified and hand
them over to QA or Production?  How is this possible when I have to hand
over the whole .war file?  Any examples anyone could point me to?

Thanks

Steven