Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by mcarcelen <mc...@isoco.com> on 2006/07/12 17:47:55 UTC

Lucene index database

Hi,
Can Lucene index a database? PostgreSQL, Mysql, Access ?
Thanks
Cheers
Teresa

Re: Lucene index database

Posted by "Michael J. Prichard" <mi...@mac.com>.
Hey there Teresa.

Short answer: Not directly.

Long answer:  Lucene is a set of libraries built for indexing text and
then searching those indexes.  Not sure what you mean by indexing a
database per se.  You could write some code to get the records you want
from the database and then index those.  For example, if you have a ton
of articles stored in a database you could grab those articles, pull the
text, index and then use the lucene index for searches.  Once you found
something you wanted you could go back to the database for additional
information.

Hope this helps.
-Michael

Re: Lucene index database

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.

Re: Lucene index database

Posted by "Michael J. Prichard" <mi...@mac.com>.
Ha Erick,

we must have sent our responses at the same time :)

Re: Lucene index database

Posted by Chris Lu <ch...@gmail.com>.
What Erick and Michael said are all correct, or the same. :)

What Lucene can do is search data that stored into Document objects.
Lucene is said to be able to search html, pdf, etc, but that's because
those formats are relatively fixed. You can easily tell title,
content, etc.

With database, which has more complicated and flexible structures. You
need to code to select data, retrieve content, save into Lucene index,
parse the queries, render the results, and also, keep the index in
sync with the database, etc.

You are welcome to try DBSight to save most of these repeated efforts.

Chris Lu
Lucene Search On Any Databases/Applications
http://www.dbsight.net

Re: Lucene index database