Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Chris Jensen <cj...@edex.com.au> on 2005/06/20 06:09:36 UTC

Dump sizes

Hi All,
I've been examining my backups created by svnadmin dump and have some
concerns.

According to the subversion book:
"By default, the dump file will be quite large—much larger than the
repository itself."

However, I'm having a look at my repository and the backups:
Original Repository size	 	11   MB
svnadmin --deltas -r 0:408	 	 2.4 MB

I then created another repository using svnadmin load < dump
Repository recreated from backup	12   MB

Then I thought I'd check what the full backup takes instead of --deltas
svnadmin -r 0:408	 		 5.8 MB

I'm using subversion 1.1.3 on Gentoo Linux with a bdb repository, the
repository contains server configuration, so is almost entirely text.
I used du -sh to get the sizes.

I've then run some svn ls, log and cat commands on the repository
created from the backups and all seems well.

Is this normal? Should I be concerned?

Regards
Chris

Chris Jensen cjensen@edex.com.au

Educational Experience (Australia)
Postal Address: PO Box 860, Newcastle NSW 2300
Freecall:       1-800-025 270      International: +61-2-4923 8222
Fax:            (02) 4942 1991     International: +61-2-4942 1991

Visit our online Toy store! http://www.toysandmore.com.au/

Re: Dump sizes

Posted by Chris Jensen <cj...@edex.com.au>.
John Szakmeister wrote:
 > I believe when that line was written, we didn't have some of the
 > options we do now.  Also, given that your repository is so small, I'm
 > not surprised that the dump is smaller than the repository.  It takes
 > a little bit before overcoming other overheads in the storage
 > backend. :-)
 > As long as you aren't seeing errors in the dump process, you're fine.

Thanks for that explanation John.

Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:
>> "By default, the dump file will be quite large—much larger than the
>> repository itself."
>>
>> However, I'm having a look at my repository and the backups:
>> Original Repository size         11   MB
>> svnadmin --deltas -r 0:408          2.4 MB
>

> "By default" means, "the way 'svnadmin dump' behaves with no  switches"
> -- such as ones that do compression.  :-)
>
> Try running just 'svnadmin dump repos > dumpfile".  The result should
> be a lot bigger than 11 MB.

Thanks Ben, I'm aware that --delta's does compress, however 11MB to
2.4MB is quite a high compression ratio, which was why I was concerned.

If you read the rest of my original post, I did indeed then try a plain
svnadmin dump which was still only 5.8 MB - about half the size of my
respository.

Re: Dump sizes

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.

Re: Dump sizes

Posted by John Szakmeister <jo...@szakmeister.net>.
On Monday 20 June 2005 02:09, Chris Jensen wrote:
> Hi All,
> I've been examining my backups created by svnadmin dump and have some
> concerns.
>
> According to the subversion book:
> "By default, the dump file will be quite large—much larger than the
> repository itself."

I believe when that line was written, we didn't have some of the options
we do now.  Also, given that your repository is so small, I'm not
surprised that the dump is smaller than the repository.  It takes a
little bit before overcoming other overheads in the storage backend. :-)

> However, I'm having a look at my repository and the backups:
> Original Repository size	 	11   MB
> svnadmin --deltas -r 0:408	 	 2.4 MB
>
> I then created another repository using svnadmin load < dump
> Repository recreated from backup	12   MB
>
> Then I thought I'd check what the full backup takes instead of --deltas
> svnadmin -r 0:408	 		 5.8 MB
>
> I'm using subversion 1.1.3 on Gentoo Linux with a bdb repository, the
> repository contains server configuration, so is almost entirely text.
> I used du -sh to get the sizes.
>
> I've then run some svn ls, log and cat commands on the repository
> created from the backups and all seems well.
>
> Is this normal? Should I be concerned?

As long as you aren't seeing errors in the dump process, you're fine.

-John