Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by a_...@pandora.be on 2007/03/15 15:30:42 UTC

Re: linefeed-treatment=preserve and orphans/windows do not work as expected

Hi Abel,

>I believe this is a bug (perhaps I should better post it to fop-dev?).
>Personally, I do not need this feature, I tend to avoid
>linefeed-treatment altogether, I consider them evil ;)

It depends... if you ever find yourself in a position where you need to include blocks of source-code in your documents, you'll be very happy such a feature exists. :)

Another plus, as I recently indicated in another post: if your document contains a hundred fo:blocks consisting of a single word, merging all the blocks and using preserved linefeeds between the words is much better for the memory footprint than using separate blocks. This is especially true when one uses empty blocks to emulate a newline.

>The orphans and windows control is ignored completely when
>linefeed-treatment is set to "preserve", even the default setting of "2"
>is ignored, leaving one line on the next page instead of the expected
>two. To illustrate this behavior, here's a little 2inch square page:

That seems to be a bug indeed. Best reported through Bugzilla...

Anyway, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Cheers,

Andreas