Posted to dev@felix.apache.org by Christopher Snow <sn...@coralms.com> on 2007/04/06 07:05:22 UTC

help converting app to OSGi

Apache ofbiz is an application that has it's own component (i.e.
bundle management system).  There is interest in the ofbiz community
for migrating ofbiz to an OSGi approach but I don't know where to
start.  Would this mailing list be able to offer help and guidance on
converting apache ofbiz to OSGi?

Thanks in advance.

Chris

believed to be clean.

Re: help converting app to OSGi

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Monday 16 April 2007 04:23, Jacek Laskowski wrote:
> Would it be a good starting point to see how these apps work on OSGi
> platform to treat m2 modules as OSGi bundles?

Vastly dependent on how you have organized your modules, but I would say; Yes,
probably not a bad idea.

Cheers
Niclas

Re: help converting app to OSGi

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>.
On 4/6/07, Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org> wrote:
> On Friday 06 April 2007 13:05, Christopher Snow wrote:
> > Apache ofbiz is an application that has it's own component (i.e.
> > bundle management system).  There is interest in the ofbiz community
> > for migrating ofbiz to an OSGi approach but I don't know where to
> > start.  Would this mailing list be able to offer help and guidance on
> > converting apache ofbiz to OSGi?
> You will first need to identify what your goals are.
>
> Hard nuts to crack;

I'm glad it's asked as I keep thinking about it too. I've got a couple
of applications that I think would benefit from migrating to OSGi, but
wonder how/where to start. These applications are built using M2. It's
a build system, but let one's think in terms of modules - not very
related, but one could draw some similarities.

Would it be a good starting point to see how these apps work on OSGi
platform to treat m2 modules as OSGi bundles? After a very first shot,
one would feel what OSGi might bring and how to work with it. I'm
asking about it as perhaps it's been a migration like this and it was
a very bad decision and it simply failed.

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski
http://www.JacekLaskowski.pl

Re: help converting app to OSGi

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Friday 06 April 2007 19:11, Christopher Snow wrote:
> Niclas,
>
> Do you mind me forwarding this email to the ofbiz mailing list to get
> others involved?

Not sure what you mean... This is a public email, and if nothing else it is
just a matter of you providing a link to it in the archives... (not up yet?)

So please go ahead...

Cheers
--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer

I  live here; http://tinyurl.com/2qq9er
I  work here; http://tinyurl.com/2ymelc
I relax here; http://tinyurl.com/2cgsug

Re: help converting app to OSGi

Posted by Christopher Snow <sn...@coralms.com>.
Niclas,

Do you mind me forwarding this email to the ofbiz mailing list to get
others involved?

Many thanks,

Chris

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.