Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Vincent de Lau <vi...@delau.nl> on 2002/08/01 01:39:48 UTC

RE: XML validation and Ant

> This looks very nice!  I like decreasing barriers to entry (no cygwin
> necessary)!

Doesn't Java mean portable? ;)

> I don't have time to test it right now, but if a windows XP user can give
> it a go and tell us it works, I'll be happy to commit it.

I'm more concerned about Windows NT.

> The other thing that might be nice is to remove build.sh/build.cmd/etc
> from httpd-2.0 and instead place them, together with all the necessary
> libraries in a seperate CVS repository where they can just be checked out
> into the right place.  I am a little uncomfortable with the fact that we
> are placing .cmd and .sh files into a directory that is accessible by
> default for everyone who installs apache.  It isn't executable by default,
> but with a slight configuration error...
>
> What do people think about that?

I've had some thoughts along that line as well, but even more rigorous.

The XML files are a kind of source files as well. Although you can look at a
single XML file with a 'XML client' (like a web browser), the generated HTML
references other HTML files. In an installation, this would mean that the
XML files are useless and you would need an XSLT processor to read them. To
overcome this, there are two options (Option three being a bit more work
;) ).

1. Move the XML files to the 'build tree' Joshua just suggessted. Before
release, the HTML files will be generated and packed.

2. Hack the style sheets to use links to XML files by default and if a
parameter is set (for instance by Ant), links to HTML files.

  <xsl:param name="filetype" select="'xml'" />

(3. 'mod_xslt' in default distro)

I'll be willing to get option 2 implemented if that seems a good idea.

Vincent de Lau
 vincent@delau.nl

Viewing XML files directive (was RE: XML validation and Ant)

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Thu, 1 Aug 2002, Vincent de Lau wrote:
> The XML files are a kind of source files as well. Although you can look at a
> single XML file with a 'XML client' (like a web browser), the generated HTML
> references other HTML files. In an installation, this would mean that the
> XML files are useless and you would need an XSLT processor to read them. To
> overcome this, there are two options (Option three being a bit more work
> ;) ).

A couple things to think about:

- With MultiViews on, you can request documents with no extension at all.
We could possibly change the way we are linking so that we include neither
xml nor html in the links.  I like this idea, because it is good to link
to "content" rather than to a specific representation of content.  But I
don't think we are quite ready for this yet, because I there are browsers
out there (Mozilla, for one) that ask for XML in their Accept header, but
then barf when they get it.

- Some of the xml files are really not suited to real-time processing.
The major examples are mod/index.xml and mod/directives.xml.  Processing
these files requires the browser to read every single module file.
Obviously we can't have that happening on a regular basis.  One possible
solution is to process them into an intermediate xml representation, which
can in turn be processed real-time.

Joshua.