Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Andrew Wilson <a....@elsevier.co.uk> on 1997/06/20 19:27:43 UTC

Reporting OS type: was Re: [Fwd: good work!!]

A looong time ago when I wrote the Netcraft Webserver Survey search
engine and stats routines it was suggested that Apache might return
additional 'helpful' information in the 'Server:' header.  So:

    HTTP/1.0 200 OK
    Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 17:18:16 GMT
    Server: Apache/1.1.1 SunOs/5.5.1

It was, I recall, countered with the argument that this was a huge
come-on to hackers who could use the OS / Platform version information
to craft their hacks.

I still think that adding this additional information is a *STUPID*
idea and one that should be resisted.  Indeed Netcraft has never
published the actual software versions being deployed at each site
(though this is a trivial thing to derive if you have the inclination)
for fear of abuse.

Talk to Netcraft directly if you want to know how the survey works now,
I've had nothing to do with it for over a year.

Ay.

Ambarish Malpani:

--
Andrew.Wilson@cm.cs.ac.uk          http://www.cs.cf.ac.uk/User/Andrew.Wilson/

Re: Reporting OS type

Posted by Rob Hartill <ro...@imdb.com>.
On Fri, 20 Jun 1997, Marc Slemko wrote:

> I would -1 any attempt to add the OS version.  -0 on adding "NT"
> somewhere, but actual OS names and versions are a BAD thing IMHO.

Based on NT's existing "security" reputation and the fact that almost
all other NT server implicitly give away the info via their names I
don't see any real problem with Apache running on an NT declaring itself
as such.

BTW, isn't there a program one can run than knocks over NT boxes ?. Maybe
Netcraft can use that.. run the code against all servers and then count
how many stay up :-)

Re: Reporting OS type: was Re: [Fwd: good work!!]

Posted by Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>.
I would -1 any attempt to add the OS version.  -0 on adding "NT"
somewhere, but actual OS names and versions are a BAD thing IMHO.

It certainly would be helpful for some things, but...