Posted to users@myfaces.apache.org by Andrew Robinson <an...@gmail.com> on 2006/06/22 18:32:50 UTC

Additional information found on solutions for IE with SELECT

I found some information that I think the popup and HTML Editor can put to
use. As these developers should know, M$ has problems with SELECT controls
and z-index and also has problems with IFRAME's under HTTPS pages. Here is
some information I have found on these issues:

Problem: IE gives a mixed content security warning when using an IFRAME.
Cause: IFRAME without a "SRC" attribute is used inside of a page loaded
using HTTPS
Fix: use the following:
<iframe src="javascript:false;"></iframe>
Fix description:
IE requires a source attribute on IFRAMEs to be considered secure. If the
code of the page is planning on using an IFRAME to do something else besides
load an external page, it still needs this SRC attribute to get around this
"bug" in IE.
Applies to: Tomahawk popup and HTML editor

Problem: IE puts all SELECT items at maximum z-index
Cause: IE uses a windows control (MFC?) for SELECT controls. These windowed
elements don't behave correctly - they ignore many CSS styles and do not
render correctly in a browser.
Fix: as many know, there is a "hack" in IE that an IFRAME can go over a
SELECT, but it doesn't not ignore z-index. So putting an IFRAME below a
control makes sure that that control appears over SELECT boxes. I have some
more input on this
Extra information: To put an IFRAME below an control is a JS pain, as can be
seen with the Tomahawk popup and it not always appearing in the right
location. I have found that an IFRAME inside of a DIV, still works. See
below:
  <iframe src="javascript:false;"
    style="position: absolute;
      height:expression(parentNode.scrollHeight);
      width: expression(parentNode.scrollWidth);
      z-index: 1;"></iframe>
here</div>
Fix description: If this two-layered DIV approach is used, the IFRAME is
always the same size as the parent. There is no javascript needed. The only
bad side affect is that positioning CSS styles should be given to the parent
DIV and all other styles (fonts, colors, etc) should be given to the inner
DIV.
Applies to: Tomahawk popup

The popup authors may choose to use my 2nd fix if they want, but the first
fix really needs to be put into the code to stop the IE warning under HTTPS

Hope that helps,
Andrew

Re: Additional information found on solutions for IE with SELECT

Posted by Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>.
Hi!
> Problem: IE gives a mixed content security warning when using an IFRAME.
Ok, its in myfaces tomahawk head now. could you please Check if it works
for you.

Thanks!
Ciao,
Mario

Re: Additional information found on solutions for IE with SELECT

Posted by Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>.
Hi Andrew,
> Problem: IE gives a mixed content security warning when using an IFRAME.
The workaround for this is nice. I decided to point the src to a blank
https page, but your solution is much easier and avoids an additional
server round trip.
I'll have a look at it.

Thanks!

Ciao,