Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Paul Yunusov <py...@rogers.com> on 2002/12/01 16:02:27 UTC

"Servlet unavailable" discussion

Hello,

I  was wondering what, in general, can cause a servlet to be "unavailable" as
reported by a StandardWrapperValve of Tomcat 4.1.12.
Thanks,
Paul

Re: "Servlet unavailable" discussion

Posted by Paul Yunusov <py...@rogers.com>.
Thanks, Tim. Makes a lot of sense now.
Paul

Posted by Tim Funk <fu...@joedog.org>.

Posted by Paul Yunusov <py...@rogers.com>.

Posted by anywhere-info <an...@netscape.net>.

http://shopnow.netscape.com/

Re: "Servlet unavailable" discussion

Posted by Paul Yunusov <py...@rogers.com>.
On Sunday 01 December 2002 09:57 pm, Craig R. McClanahan wrote:
> On Sun, 1 Dec 2002, Paul Yunusov wrote:
> > Date: Sun, 1 Dec 2002 15:40:41 -0500
> > From: Paul Yunusov <py...@rogers.com>
> > To: Tomcat Users List <to...@jakarta.apache.org>
> > Subject: Re: "Servlet unavailable" discussion
> >
> > On Sunday 01 December 2002 10:02 am, Paul Yunusov wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I  was wondering what, in general, can cause a servlet to be
> > > "unavailable" as reported by a StandardWrapperValve of Tomcat 4.1.12.
> > > Thanks,
> > > Paul
> >
> > The invoker servlet discussion was useful but it didn't really address
> > the question above. (Still, here is a good thread on the invoker servlet:
> > http://www.mail-archive.com/tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org/msg75346.html)
> >
> > There is one answer so far: not reloading a context after changing a
> > class file in it. Any other observations on causes of "unavailable"
> > servlets?
>
> A couple of other ways to get this error (the Tomcat logs will generally
> include a stack trace of the original exception):
>
> * Throw an exception from the init() method of your servlet.
>   (In particular, you can throw an UnavailableException that
>   indicates the servlet is either permanently unavailable or
>   unavailable only for a certain amount of time.
>
> * Throw an UnavailableException from the service() (or doGet/doPut)
>   method of your servlet.
>
> * Specify a <servlet-class> that doesn't exist in your webapp.
>
> > Paul
>
> Craig

Great help, Craig. Thanks.

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Sun, 1 Dec 2002, Paul Yunusov wrote:

> Date: Sun, 1 Dec 2002 15:40:41 -0500
> From: Paul Yunusov <py...@rogers.com>
> To: Tomcat Users List <to...@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: Re: "Servlet unavailable" discussion
>
> On Sunday 01 December 2002 10:02 am, Paul Yunusov wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I  was wondering what, in general, can cause a servlet to be "unavailable"
> > as reported by a StandardWrapperValve of Tomcat 4.1.12.
> > Thanks,
> > Paul
>
> The invoker servlet discussion was useful but it didn't really address the
> question above. (Still, here is a good thread on the invoker servlet:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org/msg75346.html)
>
> There is one answer so far: not reloading a context after changing a class
> file in it. Any other observations on causes of "unavailable" servlets?

A couple of other ways to get this error (the Tomcat logs will generally
include a stack trace of the original exception):

* Throw an exception from the init() method of your servlet.
  (In particular, you can throw an UnavailableException that
  indicates the servlet is either permanently unavailable or
  unavailable only for a certain amount of time.

* Throw an UnavailableException from the service() (or doGet/doPut)
  method of your servlet.

* Specify a <servlet-class> that doesn't exist in your webapp.

> Paul

Craig

Re: "Servlet unavailable" discussion

Posted by Paul Yunusov <py...@rogers.com>.