Posted to user@lenya.apache.org by Rovi <ro...@yahoo.com> on 2005/12/28 03:37:33 UTC

Simply upload and make a PDF doc available for download

How can I get to this simple task? I uploaded the PDF as an Asset. But using
Kupu I can't even see the non-graphic assets. I tried BXE which can include
assets using the asset tag, but it finds one or the other error and does not
save the document.

Re: Simply upload and make a PDF doc available for download

Posted by Jonathan Linczak <gr...@mac.com>.
> How can I get to this simple task? I uploaded the PDF as an Asset. But
> using
> Kupu I can't even see the non-graphic assets. I tried BXE which can
> include
> assets using the asset tag, but it finds one or the other error and
> does not
> save the document.

Rovi,

I have to admit that this isn't an obvious thing in Lenya using Kupu,
but nonetheless, the task is relatively straightforward once you do it
a couple of times.  Here's the best way to make a PDF downloadable from
your website.

1.  Upload the PDF as an asset to the page for which the link will be
available.  To do this, go to the Site tab and click on the page in the
expandable list at the left.  Then click on the Asset tab and upload
the file using the procedure for which you are obviously familiar.

2.  Switch back to the Authoring tab and edit the page using Kupu.

3.  In the editor, highlight the text that will be the link to your PDF
and go to the right of the editor where you are allowed to type in a
link.  The section is called "Links".

4.  In the text box provided, use the following format to make a link
to your PDF file:

	document-ID-of-the-page-you-are-editing/name-of-pdf-file.pdf

So, if the page that will have the link has a document ID of
"something" (the filename would be something.html), and the name of the
PDF file is "download.pdf," then you would type in the Links section:

	something/download.pdf

Then choose the Make Link button.

5.  Save and exit out of Kupu.  Then publish your changes.

Some background:
You see, every page has an XML file associated with it.  When you add
assets to that page, Lenya automatically creates a folder of the same
name as the page (it's document ID) and places it in the same directory
where the XML file is.  So, each asset is always accessible like any
other link if you use it's relative path.  In the case of an asset
assigned to a page, then it's relative path would simply be the folder
name first followed by the asset filename.  Like so:

	Parent Directory

	something.xml		--	something

						download.pdf

Hopefully that gives you an idea of how assets work.  Experiment around
a little and see if everything makes sense.  Don't hesitate to post
back to the list if you have questions.

Jon