Posted to dev@roller.apache.org by paksegu <pa...@yahoo.com> on 2005/08/16 19:05:08 UTC

Roller 2.0 Public Release

I know this may be too much to ask for but when will Roller 2.0 be officially released?
- Ransford

paksegu <pa...@yahoo.com> wrote:
Nice Job Dave.

Dave Johnson wrote:I've been working like crazy to finish up the Roller 2.0 UI and it's
ready for some review. I've posted some screenshots to my blog and I'm
preparing a standalone demo.

entry=roller_2_0_screenshots>

Here is a summary of the major changes I made.

* Broke UI up into three portions. Why? To simplify the user experience
and to make it more clear when a user is working in a specific weblog.
1) the main page, where a user lands if he has multiple blogs, no
tabbed menu here
2) the weblog editor/admin UI, tabbed menu defined by admin-menu.xml
3) the server admin UI, tabbed menu defined by editor-menu.xml

* Simplified the menu tab organization. Why? We had too many top level
tabs and that was confusing to new users.

* Eliminated the "website" concept from the UI. Why? Some of us
understood that a website is a collection of pages, one of which being
a weblog -- but that distinction was lost on most users. So now, we
just use the word weblog. The website concept lives on in the data
model and code tho.

* Created different classes of pages (using Struts Tiles). Why? Many
pages need a different layout from the simple header/footer setup we
had before.

* Added a helpful subtitle and a help paragraph to each page. Added
field help to the Register User, Create Weblog and other pages. Why? Do
you really have to ask?

* Added some AJAX magic to the User Admin and Invite Member pages to
make it easier to find users on large sites.

This work incorporates a lot of feedback from folks inside Sun and I
did a lot of it on my own (nobody has seen the new look and feel until
today). So it definitely needs wider review. Comments, suggestions,
offers to help with testing/fixing are all welcome.

- Dave

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: Roller 2.0 Public Release

Posted by paksegu <pa...@yahoo.com>.
Okay Thanks
- Ransford

Dave Johnson <da...@rollerweblogger.org> wrote:
My group at Sun will be putting the Roller 2.0 code base into
production in late September, so we're gearing up for testing now. I
hope we can make a release from the Apache Incubator (or Java.Net)
shortly after that.

- Dave

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: Roller 2.0 Public Release