Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by SCOTT FIELDS <Sc...@kyndryl.com.INVALID> on 2023/10/31 19:17:40 UTC

Native Oauth/OIDC integration in ActiveMQ

To my knowledge, there is no native ActiveMQ integration for Authorization/Authentication via Oauth/OIDC.

Is there any plan, if not, to include this, besides requiring an external JAAS method provided either by an external vendor or require a custom coding front-end from the end-use provider?

If not, what's the best way to request this?

Scott Fields
Kyndryl
Senior Lead SRE - BNSF
817-593-5038 (BNSF)
scott.fields@kyndryl.com<ma...@kyndryl.com>
scott.fields@bnsf.com<ma...@bnsf.com>

Re: Native Oauth/OIDC integration in ActiveMQ

Posted by Łukasz Dywicki <lu...@code-house.org>.
Have a look on
https://github.com/apifocal/activemix/tree/master/jaas/activemix-auth-token.

I've wrote this code a long time ago, it didn't change much since it
simply works. ;) It does rely on JWT/OIDC and can stick with external
JWK (i.e. hosted by keycloak) to verify token signatures.

Cheers,
Łukasz

Posted by SCOTT FIELDS <Sc...@kyndryl.com.INVALID>.
FYI, per the app using app teams, they're using the following protocols:

Mqtt
Amqp
Openwire
core

Posted by SCOTT FIELDS <Sc...@kyndryl.com.INVALID>.
Raymond,

Did you submit the JIRA for this?

My company e-mail strips out the URL for the JIRA request included earlier.

Posted by Matt Pavlovich <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi Raymond—

Posted by Vilius Šumskas <vi...@rivile.lt>.
For what it's worth, I can give a real world example why OAuth in a messaging systems could be a great addition.

Not all messaging systems are used only in a closed trusted environment located in one (or several DCs). Also, not all messaging systems are used with limited number of MQ clients. For example, we are developing and supporting at least two products which use untrusted MQ clients from thousands of external organizations. Think of these clients as gateways between local organization on-premises infrastructure and our backend SaaS product, which also communicates to the same messaging system. Such clients are very distributed, can be installed on all sorts of external devices (POS systems, branch servers of large organizations, etc.). The only purpose of these gateways (and used messaging system) is to transfer data from external data sources into one centralized database, and back. Our SaaS product has all information about tenancy, health of these gateways, traffic billing, etc. For one of these products we use RabbitMQ, another uses ActiveMQ Artemis.

Unfortunately, at the time first products was built, RabbitMQ didn't support OAuth at all, so we opted to implement mutual TLS, which we decided was too complicated to support. Because we have thousands of clients certificate renewals and maintenance processes could be very costly. In the end, we have chosen to use RabbitMQ basic auth.

During development of the second product we tried to use Keycloak via JAAS. Again, Keycloak appeared too complicated to support. It was decided, that if we would invest time in implementing proper authentication server support, we should do it in a transparent way, so any major authentication server provider with proper support could be chosen (think Auth0, or Google Cloud Identity). Since we could not find how to do this with Artemis, we chose ActiveMQBasicSecurityManager for now.

In both cases it would be great to use OAuth to authenticate tenants (and associated clients). Of source, for our use case, provided OAuth support must have at least some advanced configuration parameters to not kill the MQ system itself, like caching or similar. But we can always hope for better tomorrow :)

--
   Best Regards,

    Vilius Šumskas
    Rivile
    IT manager
    +370 614 75713

Posted by ski n <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by SCOTT FIELDS <Sc...@kyndryl.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Justin Bertram <jb...@apache.org>.

Posted by Matt Pavlovich <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi Scott-

Got it, makes sense. Please open a JIRA for the request:  https://issues.apache.org/jira/

Posted by SCOTT FIELDS <Sc...@kyndryl.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Matt Pavlovich <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi Scott-

Posted by Justin Bertram <jb...@apache.org>.
What messaging client implementation(s) and protocol(s) will your customer
be using? What's their use-case?

Justin

On Tue, Oct 31, 2023 at 2:34 PM SCOTT FIELDS

Posted by SCOTT FIELDS <Sc...@kyndryl.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Justin Bertram <jb...@apache.org>.

Posted by barry haycock <bd...@gmail.com>.
I've been trying to get the jetty implementation working with keycloak for
a while now.

It would be good to get that side working with Oidc