Posted to dev@creadur.apache.org by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk> on 2008/03/12 21:05:35 UTC

Re: svn commit: r636144 [2/7] - in /incubator/rat/import: ./ rat/ rat/src/ rat/src/java/ rat/src/java/rat/ rat/src/java/rat/analysis/ rat/src/java/rat/analysis/generation/ rat/src/java/rat/analysis/license/ rat/src/java/rat/analysis/util/ rat/src/java/rat/...

On Tue, 2008-03-11 at 18:17 -0700, Craig L Russell wrote:
> Ouch.
>
> The license headers are obsolete. Didn't you run RAT on these before
> checking them in? ;-)

:-)

it was intention. i've always imported then fixed so that the record of
the changes is present in the version control. i'm not sure whether the
consensus is that this is best practice or not.

i'll post something on general and then write up the results...

- robert

Import best practice [WAS Re: svn commit: r636144 [2/7] ]

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On Wed, 2008-03-12 at 14:00 -0700, Craig L Russell wrote:
> Hi Robert,
>
> On Mar 12, 2008, at 1:05 PM, Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:
>

> > On Tue, 2008-03-11 at 18:17 -0700, Craig L Russell wrote:
> >> Ouch.
> >>
> >> The license headers are obsolete. Didn't you run RAT on these before
> >> checking them in? ;-)
> >
> > :-)
> >
> > it was intention. i've always imported then fixed so that the record
> > of
> > the changes is present in the version control. i'm not sure whether
> > the
> > consensus is that this is best practice or not.
>
> Cool. When I imported the JDO stuff from Sun awhile back, I added the
> license before checking the files into the Apache repo, so I guess
> best practice is undocumented.

IIRC there have been a few different theories. the original source
covered by the agreement should be a matter of open record. source in
apache repositories should have the right headers.

JIRA gives an open record so can serve the first purpose.

> > i'll post something on general and then write up the results...
> >
> Might be a good topic for the incubator guides...
>
> Assuming that there is consensus, of course.

even if there isn't consensus, it's useful to establish the pros and
cons.

- robert

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Robert,

On Mar 12, 2008, at 1:05 PM, Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:

> On Tue, 2008-03-11 at 18:17 -0700, Craig L Russell wrote:
>> Ouch.
>>
>> The license headers are obsolete. Didn't you run RAT on these before
>> checking them in? ;-)
>
> :-)
>
> it was intention. i've always imported then fixed so that the record
> of
> the changes is present in the version control. i'm not sure whether
> the
> consensus is that this is best practice or not.

Cool. When I imported the JDO stuff from Sun awhile back, I added the
license before checking the files into the Apache repo, so I guess
best practice is undocumented.

> i'll post something on general and then write up the results...

Might be a good topic for the incubator guides...

Assuming that there is consensus, of course.

Craig

> - robert

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com