Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Rafal Krzewski <Ra...@caltha.pl> on 2003/05/21 14:08:35 UTC

Re: Artifact downloading

(Sorry if this appears twice, but my mail client is a bit odd today)

michal.maczka wrote:

> I suppose that there will be other artifacts/dependices which should
> become versionless in the end.

I'm sorry but I completly miss what you are pursuing in the first
place... Can you please give an example of artifact types that
*must not* have their version number in the file name?

> In fact I see that ulimate goal
> is/was not to have versionless artifacts even when Maven scope ends.
> SO you (human) look at any file and know exactly what it is.
> But I am almos sure that this goal cannot be achieved in case
> of some types of artifacts. So this means that we are going
> to fail with this goal anyway. My question was: When
> are we going to fail: alredy in repository or later when we will
> cut off version string from a filename.

If this is ever necessary, version information should be dropped as late
as it is possible. Any other approach is IMO asking for trouble.

> I see that for repository
> (as repository is "for computers" rather then "for humans") it does
not make
> big deal if we have
>
> struts/tlds/html/1.1rc1/html.tld
> #     or
> struts/tlds/html-1.1rc1/html.tld
>
> Required metadata is anyway there.
>
> But some "magical processing" will be applied later on.

Sure, the metadata is there but what win does this give us over the
current scheme?

> And for any Mavenized project we have POM which tells us any which version
> of artifacts
> are we using, so such information is quickly accesible.

As long as you know the exact revision of the POM your particular
instance of application was compiled from...
Imagine the following scenario: You get a service call from a customer.
You log on to the application and replicate the problem. You suspect
that the problem migh be caused by a bug in Struts taglib, but you
are not sure. You log on to the produciton server and look on a deployed
war. Now, it contains html.tld. You obviously don't know what version
of Struts was used to build that jar (sombebody else build it and
deployed it.). If the deployed war contains the information about
the particular revision of the project.xml that was used for building,
you can use your SCM client and retrieve that revision of POM and
check what version of struts it was.... If the deployed war does
not contain that information -- well, you're screwed...

I would much rather have the version information on all artifacts, Michal...

> I am +0, but I think it was nice to discuss this issue - as versionless
> artifacts
> could change "a rules of the game" for many things (e.g. how to resolve
> snapshot dependencies).

Snapshots mix nicely with versions, and if there is a need for dropping
version info (I sincerely hope there is none), the drop would occur
after snapshot is resolved, so I see no particular problem here.

R.