Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Koushik Das <ko...@citrix.com> on 2013/02/11 14:38:01 UTC

RE: [DISCUSS] Integrate Cisco ASA 1000v into CloudStack

Updated the FS with API, Db changes and current deployment limitations. Also updated the UI section as to what all needs to be added.

Chiradeep,
I looked at the option of spinning up templates from ovf template but didn't find a way (was looking for some samples) to pass custom parameters like vnmc  ip, password etc. while creating VM instance. So for now the ASA instance creation is a manual step similar to VNMC appliance. In case there is a way out, the auto-creation can be done as a future enhancement.

Thanks,
Koushik

Posted by Alex Huang <Al...@citrix.com>.
Yup.  I don't believe there's one way to auto-scale VPXes.  It's very difficult to get it right for one code to auto-scale everything.  OTOH, you can actually expose APIs for admins to spin up with they need, including assigning ip addresses in the management network etc but the APIs should not be a CloudStack generic API.  The plugin provider should just provide their own.

Pre-create is a good interim solution.  The one problem with it is we have get back our old code that leave VMs outside of CloudStack's naming nomenclature alone.  We used to do that precisely to share the resource pool with other VMs but we've lost that sometime in the 2.2 time frame.  We need to bring that back.  Without it, it means they have to have their own physical servers outside of CloudStack's management to spin up and down VPXes.

--Alex

Posted by Koushik Das <ko...@citrix.com>.

I feel both can exist and once VPC stuff is completed then it can be documented appropriately

>  - What about support for systemvm / NS as an LB appliance?

I am trying to think what would side-by-side mean in this case. For inline mode support is anything available in the CS framework?

>  - Although the ASA DHCP server cannot be programmed, it might be
> desirable in enterprise use cases (where they may not care about
> userdata/metadata) to support the ASA DHCP server as a DHCP provider. In
> this case we have to figure out how to update the NIC information in
> CloudStack DB after the VM has acquired its IP.

This is a good to have use case. Will revisit after isolated and VPC scenarios are done.

Posted by Koushik Das <ko...@citrix.com>.
Resending as I didn't see the mail on dev list.

Posted by Chiradeep Vittal <Ch...@citrix.com>.

On 3/13/13 9:40 AM, "Koushik Das" <ko...@citrix.com> wrote:

>I am trying to understand the deployment model with Asa1000v for the VPC
>use case mentioned in FS
>- Cloud operator creates VPC network offering with source nat using
>ASA1000v as the service provider for firewall, source nat, port
>forwarding, ACL and routing. CloudStack system vm is used for DHCP,
>userdata and metadata, password server.
>
>I looked at the Inter-VLAN routing FS
>(https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Inter-VLAN+Routing
>). For each network in VPC, a nic is created in the VPC VR. ACL rules are
>configured in VPC VR to allow traffic between these networks.
>Based on the VPC VR model I am trying to create the deployment model when
>Asa is used. Asa has 2 interfaces 'inside' and 'outside'. For isolated
>guest network scenario, inside is connected to the private network and
>outside connected to public network. I am trying to think how to map it
>for VPC case where there can be N private nics and 1 public nic.
>
>Chiradeep, can you share your thoughts on this?
>
>Thanks,
>Koushik

That surprises me, but it looks like it is true:
http://s.apache.org/Hc2

It appears that the assumption is that one VLAN = 1 tenant. Within the
VLAN you can create multiple tiers (web, app, db) and isolate them using
the VSG. This would be akin to using security groups within one tier to
provide isolation.

Note that all tiers would belong to the same subnet.

RE: [DISCUSS] Integrate Cisco ASA 1000v into CloudStack

Posted by Koushik Das <ko...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Manan Shah <ma...@citrix.com>.
My thinking is that most users would want the followingÅ

1. Either use VR for both FW and LB or use External Devices for both FW
and LB
2. Lower priority would be to use VR for one and External Device for
another
3. Between in-line and side-by-side, I think we should give higher
priority to in-line than side-by-side

So, I think it would be good if we can support LB functionality through
external device in 4.2.

Regards,
Manan Shah

Posted by Koushik Das <ko...@citrix.com>.